Logo

Volvo Penta 5.0 Surging Problem

ydptdxk

I have twin 5.0 Pentas and have been unable to solve a surging problem in the port engine. The mechanics have replaced the fuel pump twice and all 8 injectors and I still have the problem. What I believe is happening is fuel is getting into the oil. After each repair, the engine runs fine for a few hours and then the problem starts all over. First, the surging begins with the engines reviving up and down at wake speeds and then the engine losses power and the boat will not get up on plane. The mechanics don't know what else to do. Any help out there?

What motors??Try the coil.Does it get real hot?
Swap it from one motor to the other and see if it changes anything.
Profile??Salt water or fresh? Ethanol?
Lot's more info will help.J

These are 2005/6 Penta 5.0 OSI-EF engines with around 300 hours. They run in salt water and the gas does not contain ethanol. Only the port engine has the problem.

Both running off separate tanks? Did they check the anti-siphon valve? In any case, hook up a portable fuel tank to the engine and go for a ride. If problem goes away, the cause is before the engine.

The mechanics are going to try the portable fuel and see what happens. I had ruled that out because I have two tanks and had opened and closed the tanks and determined that the port engine had the problem regardless of which tank fed it. We'll try the portable tank anyway.

Back