Logo

Volvo Penta 4.3 OSI-E exhaust smell of petrol

Kirdud

Good day, everybody!

I can't find the issue with the port engine. It began when I detected a lot of water in the petrol. Then, a decision was made to drain the fuel, refuel with fresh petrol, and change the filter and filter separator. However, the smell of petrol doesn't disappear. The boat can't reach more than 2500 rpm. But if it's fully stopped, and then the RPM is raised, it reaches almost 3000 rpm and drops down to 2000 rpm. The problem also starts with starting the engine, which can only be started in neutral with a little bit of throttle. When it starts, the exhaust smells like petrol. Engine temperature cant reach 80 dgree.

I checked the filters again. The fuel separator is normal with no water. I checked the fuel filter, and there was a little bit of dirt on it, so I changed it. I also checked the spark plugs, and all of them were covered in petrol, so I changed them.

Finally, here's what we have: fresh petrol, a new fuel filter, and new spark plugs.

The engine can now be started only with throttle, and the RPM can be reached at any range, but there is a strong smell of gasoline while it's working. Engine temperature is normal.

I would be thankful for any guidance and help.

EFI engine?
Fuel injectors staying open or leaking down when the engine is off? I think in Volvo nomenclature any model number with an I in it is fuel injected

I looked it up that’s a port injected 4.3. Hope the fuel injectors can be cleaned because they are PRICEY!
Glad I still have a simple 4.3 with a 4bbl carb & mechanical fuel pump. Very low maintenance & repair costs…

I looked it up that’s a port injected 4.3. Hope the fuel injectors can be cleaned because they are PRICEY!
Glad I still have a simple 4.3 with a 4bbl carb & mechanical fuel pump. Very low maintenance & repair costs…

BTW….Volvo parts prices are like Highway Robbery….they charge $1400 for a Holley carb you can buy new right from Holley for half that same with the carb rebuild kit…
I’d guess those injectors have some other GM automotive application I’d be curious to check part #s to see if they are the same.
It might make sense to get the engine scanned to see if there are any trouble codes….before doing anything else…

Back