Logo

Volvo Penta 4.3 GL water in oil source

Tittan

Hey Guys, Bought a boat 1998 Campion, seller said it was winterized properly, seemed like it everything was drained out... I am trying to source the cause of some eggnog oil... also a clunk sound but that will be another post. Pulled the intake manifold ( see pics notice rust) Visual Inspection doesn't show any cracking.
Rust 3.jpg notice the rusting around the port what would cause this... where would the water enter..other side was perfect.

That is todays plan I wanted to ensure the rods weren't loose as there is also a clunking sound... I'm going to purchase end caps for the exhaust and pressure test at 20 psi.

Did you completely drain the oil pan? Did you find water in the bottom? These engines spend alot of time sitting dormant and they will take on moisture with the rise and fall of the barometer. Just running the engine will cause the moisture to vent out as the engine is running. The white snot is normal after a long layover, Change the oil and then keep an eye of the oil level often if the oil level rises then you have water getting pumped in from somewhere.

So I gave her an air test... she is bleeding... slight air leak... when I turn the crank by hand the pressure increases is released when #5 is stroking....sooo is it an head gasket? as I didn't see any cracks when the intake Manifold was off and that is the chamber with rust as above.
Any suggestions????

Can I just run air into plug hole @ TDC and see where it comes out as I don't have a Leakdown tester.
BTW I did a compression test 1 and 6... cold engine... by hand... They both read 60 psi is that because I couldn't get force to create pressure?

Remove the rocker arms and pump it full of air. At this point a leak down tester is not important. You already know that a cylinder has a leak, now to find out where.

Head gasket is probably not your issue. 99%

Hello again had some time today to dive into this engine... Number 3 failed leak down seem to coming out the carb.. about a 5-6 psi loss = 15%

We have a potential lawsuit for owners of defective Volvo Penta Engines.

Please see our notice below:

The Volvo Penta 5.70SXi and 8.10Si gas powered engines with XDP sterndrives with XXP TSK transom shield Spec Numbers 3869293, 3869297, 3869347, 3869348, 3886856, 3886857 may be defective.

If you purchased one, call attorney Ronald Marron: 619-696-9006.

Ronald Marron. Can you quit posting this on every thread? The post you created that everyone can read is enough. Don't be a douche.

Back