Logo

Volvo Penta 290 DP engine alignment

aspidal

I installed a new to me engine in my boat and I need to know how to align the engine. I have installed engines in OMC cobra and Mercruiser where you stick a alignment tool through the transom into the engine coupler and raise or lower the engine mount until the alignment tool slides in and out freely. On the Volvo 290 there is a short spline shaft that slides into the flex plate on the flywheel. Once I got the splines lined up it slid in. The bellhousing bolts up to the inside part of the outdrive. I thought this was almost to easy (it only took about 2 hour). Now I am trying to get the alternator on and it looks like the front of the engine is to low because the tension bolt hits the stinger see pictures. The engine I removed was a Chevy 305, new engine is a Chevy 350 I assumed the block is the same size?

The 290 is quite different. If you look at the back of the fly wheel cover you will see 3 flats. One at 12:00 oclock, one at 3 oclock and one at nine oclock. there is a space between the flats and the transom shield. the measurement between the flats and the transom shield should be the same for all 3. Once you see the 12 oclock flat you should be able to see the other 2 because you will know what your looking for. The 305 and the 350 are the same block.

Back