Logo

Volvo 57 Gi Overheat

cragonese

"My starboard engine overheats

"My starboard engine overheats about 10 minutes after starting cold when in idle, 600 rpm. If I run the engine past 2000 RPM the temp drops to a normal 175. when in idle again it runs up to about 200, the alarm sounds in about 3 minutes or less. 1 year since risers, heads replaced. Entire cooling system replaced and 100 hour accomplished. Engine has been doing this since I put it back in the water appx. 8 months ago but has just gotten worse. Swapped temp gauges, samething. Temp sensors? How would I go about trouble shooting this in a logical order? What would be the best service manuals for engines like this? I like the ones with big words and lots of pictures.

Thanks for any help."

"I would start with the obviou

"I would start with the obvious and checking the raw water pump impeller, the thermostat and the thermostat housing and hoses. And if you keep the boat in the water for long periods of time, check inside the intake grids in the outdrive for marine growth."

Thanks. I was thinking that a

Thanks. I was thinking that as well. I have a good mechanical engine aptitude but have never worked on marine engines. is there a specific hose I can pull off and start the engine to verify water flow without damaging anything? yes the boat lives in the water all year round. You dont think it could be the temp sensors? I cleaned the intacts a few days ago but something could have grown inside. I guess start at start.

Thanks. I was thinking that a

Thanks. I was thinking that as well. I have a good mechanical engine aptitude but have never worked on marine engines. is there a specific hose I can pull off and start the engine to verify water flow without damaging anything? yes the boat lives in the water all year round. You dont think it could be the temp sensors? I cleaned the intakes a few days ago but something could have grown inside.(?) I guess start at start.

"While nothing can be complete

"While nothing can be completely discarded, the fact that the temperature goes down when the RPM increase can be taken as an indication of low water flow due to a defective impeller, or marine growth, or some other cause. A faulty sensor would be either erratic or giving the wrong reading at any RPM."

"Ok, Sir heres what Ive done.

"Ok, Sir heres what Ive done. I took off the impellar housing and found the impellar to appear as jammed in. it almost looks as though the impellar is 1/4 inch smaller than the housing it fits into. I couldnt spin the impellar in the housing with my finger or anything else when I took took it off. Is this normal? It also appeared to have the sealing washer and ring missing parts #3 & #5 on the diagram. It has volvo penta on it and the serial number is 3862465 and this doesnt match any of the numbers I can find for the impellar kits. The impellar itself looks like its in very good condition other than the fact it appears to be to big for the housing and the vanes in the center grooves look like there worn down although it fits snug on the shaft. Also the rubber stop on the bracket is completely melted between the hose connections on the impellar housing. What do you think? This was replaced last august according to my service order."

"The impeller is supposed to f

"The impeller is supposed to fit that way, no worries there. Also, the impeller number is different from the impeller kit's number, as the kit contains both the impeller and the seals. Regarding the rubber stopper (part 5 on this link) it is cheap enough to replace if in bad condition. Of course, you can always ask the shop who did the servicing what did they change (and what did they not change), and why parts 3 and 5 are missing. However, I suspect that the seal (part 5) is installed between the shaft and the bearing housing in the pulley; for if it wasn't, you would have water leaking into the bilges.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Seawater_Pump_and_Hoses/dm/cart_id.718343732--ses sion_id.493255214--store_id.366--view_id.340031

So it appears at first glance that the pump is not the problem. Time to check in other areas. In addition to the ones I mentioned in my previous post, you may want to check that the tubes of the (steering?) oil cooler are not plugged, for if they were that would restrict water flow to the raw water pump."

"OK. Ran fresh water from the

"OK. Ran fresh water from the garden hose from intake pipe to outdrive inlet (backwashed), found water spewing from the freshwater flush valve. Tightned valve, flushed engine 15 minutes, reinstalled raw water pump. Engine ran for 45 minutes at various RPM settngs. Temp never went above 170! Think its fixed. Cant thank you enough! Now I just have to figure out how to pay for gas to drive it !

Carman"

Back