Logo

Volvo 43 engine temp

regal_man

What should be the average eng

What should be the average engine temps be for Volvo 4.3 pentas? While out this weekend the port engine was around 120 and the starbord engine was 150 but went to 175 at 3000 rpm. Is the variance in engine temps normal? The starbord engine didn't exceed 175. At what temp should an engine be shut down? This was our first outing on the boat so I don't know if I've got a guage problem or something more signifcant.

"If the engine is raw water co

"If the engine is raw water cooled, typical thermostats are 140º-160ºF. If you are using a closed cooling system, the thermostat rating would be 180º-190ºF.

What model and year are your engines? You can go to this link

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA/GLOBAL/EN-GB/MARINE_LEISURE_ENGINES/OUT_OF_ PRODUCTION_ENGINES/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

and download the operator's manual for your engine, which will have the answer to most of the questions you may have. Just type 4.3 under Engine Type."

"Sam, I just looked at your p

"Sam, I just looked at your profile..... there's no info on location... so we do not know what waters you run it!
But for salt water use (of a raw water cooled engine), lower operating temperatures will be of importance due to salt crystallization.

Just an FYI only on that!

As for a "shut down" temp..... you may find info in the Volvo information, but as a general rule, I'd be considering this if temps approach the 190/195ish + range.... give youself some lead time if you suspect over-heating is about to occur!
There is no reason that these engines can't be made to maintain a good safe operating temperature. IMO.
."

"As always, there is a trade-o

"As always, there is a trade-off between which is your main goal. The higher the temperature, the better the fuel economy, but the higher the likelihood of salt crystallization (as Ricardo very well said). In a raw water cooling system, you can go for a 140ºF thermostat and you will avoid salt water crystallization, but the fuel economy will be compromised and the idling may be not too smooth.

My take is very simple: go for a closed cooling system and you get the best of both worlds."

"Raw water cooling and we run

"Raw water cooling and we run on lake lanier, outside of Atlanta. I'll download the manual. Sounds like the 175 in the starbord engine may be a little high and the 120 in the port engine a little low. What do you make of the variance between the 2? I'll fill out the profile...thanks for being patient with the rookie who's overly sensitive to anything out of the ordinary."

"Dear Rookie Sam, (har har

"Dear Rookie Sam, (har har) the beauty of twin engines is that you can easily swap temperature sending units and check to see if this is where the discrepancy lies. If not, then looks towards the instruments and/or main harness or ?????

P of E (process of elimination..... one by one)

Remember to not use teflon tape on the TPT. This union must be conductive!
Best to first attempt removal when engine is warm, IMO.

."

Back