Logo

volvo 275 out drive banging when shifting to reverse

markymark

Hi all, Hope you can help me with my problem. I've got 275 outdrives on AQ131A engines. When i select reverse gear the out drive bangs loud. Its also really stiff to select reverse and a couple of times i noticed that when the throttle lever was put in the reverse position, the drive was in neutral. i then put the leaver back to neutral and then back to reverse again and "Bang!" once again. When it was out of the water the reverse lock collar was stiff so i freed it up with some wd40 and that made the Fwd/Rev selector move freely, so i dont think its any of the linkage from the throttle to the out drive. I didnt try it with the engines running until i got it back in the water. Its back in the water now and i still have the same problems. What do you think could be going on , Mark

Mark, check your idle RPM.
Check ignition timing.... if too much initial advance, and if the throttle plates are not closing properly, it could contribute to this.
Try to lower the idle speed.
Too high, and these will clunk even more loudly than normal.

Also, is your drive oil clean and free from any water intrusion?

Volvos have a cone clutch so the clunk is probably outside the drive.The lock down mechanism might not be locking or it's real loose.
Take some close up picks of the lock mech.While it's down(make sure the picks are real close)and then up.Post them and maybe we can see.J

I used to get a bit of noise when shifting as well. It turns out it was my PDS bearing going. When was the last time yours was greased or replaced?

remove the cap on the upper and check clearance below the nut. if excessive, keeper at bottom of upper shaft is streched. this is commonly caused by fast idle.

remove the cap on the upper and check clearance below the nut. if excessive, keeper at bottom of upper shaft is streched. this is commonly caused by fast idle.
Not a bad point to make, however, best to do this when the transmission is off, and on the bench, IMO.
You'll need all NEW O-rings and top cover gasket.... and do not forget the hollow bolt O-ring.

What Scott is referring to, is the brass split ring keeper..... aka wear washer.
Yes.... these do become stretched... but more so as a result of high RPM shifts, and even more so when running the Duo Prop, or LH single props.
Easiest method, is to place the keeper in the jaws of a caliper, and hold up to a light source.
If the sides are not parallel, then it's time for a replacement.
The OEM tolerance dimension is very important also.
I use both methods!

Caution:
When this keeper decides to let loose, and when powering up using the lower "driven" gear, the vertical shaft finds it's way right out the top cover.
I've repaired several of these over the years from this very thing.
Not a pretty sight, nor an inexpensive repair! :mad:

I doubt that this is your entire issue, but as a preventative measure, this is NEVER a bad idea to at least check.

More than likely, a portion of this clunking is just something that we have to live with.
It's an inherant part of any V/P drive that uses the Reverse Latch unit.

Again, make sure that the gear oil is correct and clean.

Hi Every one, Thanks for all your advise. I thought i might end up getting out of my depth in the end and i took it to an engineer that had done work on the boat before. He could have robbed me blind if he wanted but instead he assured me that it sounded normal to him. The rpms were 900 on both engines. I going to wait Untill the end of the season and get both outdrives looked at and properly serviced.

Back