Logo

Volvo 270 Propeller removal Are there tabs

"HI,

A mobile marine mechan

"HI,

A mobile marine mechanic tried to remove my props yesterday and said we would need to pull the boat and apply some heat because the cone nut was frozen. I thought that perhaps he was going the wrong direction if they were reverse threads. I see from looking at a volvo manual i purchased that the nut should be removed counter clockwise and there is a lock tab. I am confused by the illustration diagram shown. How do you straighten the lockwasher tabs? I do not see it on the propeller. I am convinced the mechanic thought they were frozen because he did not straighten the lock tabs. I am going to give it a try if I can find the tab. Is there a tool used to get to this. Any insight diagram would be so greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Rick"

"There are about 20 tabs that

"There are about 20 tabs that go into releived areas on the backside of the cone nut. Use a small screwdriver to bend slightly toward the prop. When you have all tabs free of the nut, remove the cone nut. It is possible that the nut is frozen due to corrosion. Hpoefully the nut had grease applied prior to installation. Replace the tabbed washer with a new one when you put it back together, and grease the spindle and the nut. Good luck."

"Ken is correct. I used to ha

"Ken is correct. I used to have to exchange props all the time on my 270 when I used to boat in Lake Tahoe one weekend and the Sacramento delta the next. It was sort of a pain to have to bend all of those tabs out of the recessed areas on the prop cone, and then reverse the process after installing the other prop.

Here is a pic of the various parts. It's very possible that your drive does not have the spacer (3rd part from the left) and instead your prop cone has indentations in it for the tabs on the washer, and it most likely also does not have the screw shown in this pic either.
25115.jpg
270 Prop Kit

Wow that is wild! Lots of tabe

Wow that is wild! Lots of tabes. I will go explore it! Maybe I can get the boat out in the water afterall this weekend.

Thank you guys

Rick

Back