Logo

Viking 25Hp Electric Start

JeffNilson

Hi Guys, can anyone guide me from the attached photos where to find the starter!! If I am not mistaken, the flying wheel is missing and the solenoid as well. Any idea where to find the parts. Many thanks for any help. Jeff

IMG_4064-compressed.jpeg

IMG_4067-compressed.jpeg

:) There is no electric starter nor solenoid. That is a manual start motor, started by pulling the rope. The flywheel is the big round thing that rotates as the motor is running.

Your location ?----Find a ring gear.----Find a starter and bracket ( same as many Johnson / Evinrude motors ).----Find a choke solenoid if you are going to run with controls.----Looks like it might have overheated.----Do a compression test and post the numbers here.---Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or better on a test device?--Install a new impeller if compression test is good.

Many thanks for your kind reply Racerone. I am located in Calgary, Alberta. The compression test is good but I am waiting to receive my tester from Amazon to post it here. The spark plugs it seems working good since I tried to run the outboard manually and actually runs for 2 to 3 seconds and then dies immediately. I used brake cleaner to remove any debris on the carb and tried to bleed the carb from the old fuel and add new one with the proper mix. But one of my friends advise me to use “Start Fluid” instead which I will give it a try. Not sure if the flying wheel was overheated or not but the circumference is rusted and there is a black rubber cam in contact with it. I have a suspicion that the gear was removed from it along with the started and the solenoid. Yes, the boat equipped with OMC but couldn’t figure the knobs for what ( on on the top and the other in the front - pls see attached photo). Appreciate your kind assistance.

Those 2 smaller knobs are for adding friction to the throttle lever.---Top one is for friction .----Other one can be used to adjust maximum RPM in neutral.----Should be easy to figure out which is which.-----try----evinrudeparts.ca-----for parts.

The ring is rusted because it is made of steel. The gear was not removed---there never was one. And the solenoid was in the junction box in the boat (Had there ever been one----there wasn't). Because that is a rope start motor.

Back