Logo

VHF Interference from GPS

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
I just installed a higher grade replacement antenna (Shakespeare) on my boat. Now, VHF (West marine) hangs up on channel 68 when GPS (Garmin 4208) is on. Why is that happening and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

I just installed a higher grade replacement antenna (Shakespeare) on my boat. Now, VHF (West marine) hangs up on channel 68 when GPS (Garmin 4208) is on. Why is that happening and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

1st..Check that all the grounds are good.
2nd..Be sure the cables from the GPS and radio are not "bundled together" and keep them seperate. The GPS power to the transducer may be may be putting out enough RF around the cable that it is simulating a signal on the radio.
3rd.. Try installing "shielded cable" on the power inputs to both the radio and GPS, grounding the shield only on one end of the cable shield (not both ends) and seperating all the cables.

Thanks for the input. Will be re-checking the grounds today. I'm not familiar with the "sheilded cable" you are referring to. Where can I find that?

After checking just about everything possible, I rigged the antenna up to another radio on the boat. Same problem. Then installed another antenna, and all is fine. Bad antenna - apparently something wrong with the shielding or the leads. Thanks all for your input and help.

After checking just about everything possible, I rigged the antenna up to another radio on the boat. Same problem. Then installed another antenna, and all is fine. Bad antenna - apparently something wrong with the shielding or the leads. Thanks all for your input and help.

Kind of didn't think of that since you stated it was a new whip, but new stuff is bad sometimes.

Back