Logo

VDO tach setup

outobie

Regular Contributor
Hi all

my 30 year old vdo tach won’t go over 1000 rpm

i purchased a nos one on line that looks the same but is 15 years newer

the new one has 8 dip switches on the back and no instructions on how to configure them

ive been trying to find a manual on line for several days unsuccessfully.

Can an anyone help me figure out my settings

i have a 2001 5.7 alpha 1 gen 2 with thunderbolt V ignition and a 2bbl carb

s-l200.jpg

Look at this on eBayVDO Marine Tachometer - Vanguard Series with Hour Meter - P/N 1-211-800-102A
VDO Marine Tachometer - Vanguard Series with Hour Meter - P/N 1-211-800-102A

If you are using it with coil signal you don't need to mess with anything. However, it is programmable using the dip switches if necessary. Not much info out there, only second hand advice here and there.

Found on Carolina Classics forum regarding an 8.1 crusader:

setting for the tach will be looking at the tach from behind reading left to right.

X = ON
O = OFF

OOXOXOXO

There should only be one to two switches different from your current setting

I also have the VDO installation brochure for the tach if you want it. I can email it to you.

[email protected]

Last edited:
How can I tell if I have a coil signal?

I assume I do but is there a way to be sure?

Ayuh,.... If it's a 30 year old boat, I doubt it's a 'puter controlled motor, so it has to be a coil driven tach,....
The grey wire on the coil's (-) tiny terminal,....

Yeh gauges are things that don't age well. These are safety devices, so having them be in top condition is very important to your well being. Personally I would buy all new and not go cheap on something this important.

Yeh gauges are things that don't age well. These are safety devices, so having them be in top condition is very important to your well being. Personally I would buy all new and not go cheap on something this important.

no argument there. The plan is to go all digital next winter.
Noland analogue to nmea 2000 converter
2 large MFDs
cruise control with octopus drive
new nmea 2000 sensors for fuel flow, tank volume battery ...etc I’m designing and buying pieces now but won’t start that project till next fall

I just put the helm back together yesterday after finishing up the last of this winters projects. For this season I’d like to replace the one broken gauge with a new old stock one that matches the oem ones. I found a pair that are 16 years newer with the same face design that Im trying to figure out how to install.

Back