Logo

Valve cover bolts - torque specs?

brettmarl

Regular Contributor
Honda 225.

Shop manual just says the pattern to tighten and to do it in two steps. Is there no specific torque value for these?

Hi,
I've found with Honda shop manuals that, sometimes, the torque spec is in there but not always where you would expect....like under torque specifications. :>/

Many times it's hidden in the midst of a task. In this case, it may be lurking in the procedures for removing and replacing the cylinder heads.

Otherwise, when I encounter no torque specification I will just find the nominal torque for that size fastener. The problem with that in the metric bolt world is that what is nominal depends on the strength rating....of which there are a few. In this case, for example, with 6mm bolts , torque ranges from 3 lb.ft. to 13.lb.ft. for dry threads depending on hardness (4.6-8.8-10.9 or 12.9)

If your bolt heads have the hardness rating cast in then it should be easy enough to find the specification you can depend on to get the job done.

Good luck.

Thanks - yeah I check the torque table and it wasn’t listed. guessed at 9ft lbs if nothing else’s for consistency of pressure across the gasket. Sure it will be fine.

Yes, I was thinking about suggesting 8 (104 lb.in.) but I thought I'd let you come to your own conclusion. 9 sounds reasonable to me.

In a "dumb ol' boy" situation where no inch pound torque wrench was available I'd probably go with using a 1/4" drive ratchet and snug 'em down securely using my old puppy's power application method of "one white pinky knuckle" of force.

That's worked for me many times. ;>)

Back