Logo

V8 350 Not Running properly Pls help

smittyballz

I just bought a boat 1990 Inva

I just bought a boat 1990 Invader 26' with a v8 350 mercruiser. The problem with the boat is that it starts ok and idles but it will not get above 2k rpms and bucks when it is attemted to go faster. I have replaced the fuel filter with no change and put some fuel stabilizer in as well just to see if that is the problem and no change. Any ideas? If I push the throttle all the way down it just shuts down and goes nowhere. Could this be an adjustment of the cable?

"Probabaly not Joshua, new boa

"Probabaly not Joshua, new boat to you can be the boat that has sat for 3 years under the tarp. I would go through and do your basics, compression, fuel, and spark. also a cap, rotor, wires and plugs are a great investment at under 100$ and some time. you may find you have fouled fuel and ignition parts, also with the compression test you may do a leak down dest while your there. good luck, hope that helps."

Sounds fuel starved. Are the

Sounds fuel starved. Are the carb. secondaries opening? As Brett said "sat for 3 years under the tarp" may have gummed up the carb with varnish and other crud; may need overhauled.

"Guy

I have always wanted t

"Guy

I have always wanted to say this, run a couple of cans of sea foam through the fuel system and see if that cleans her out.
Never used the stuff myself, i have never seen it in the land of Oz, but I have heard it recomended so many times on this forum it must be good stuff.

You Know Who."

"What type of Carb is it using

"What type of Carb is it using. If it's a Rochester Quad, take a sturdy cotter pin and open it up straight. Bend a 1/8" straight angle on one end. Insert the bent end down the vent tub on the carb and feel around for an obstruction. Try pushing down on the obstruction or getting the hook underneath it and pull up. This is the power valve rod and it should bounce up and down freely.
BTC"

"Had simular problems myself G

"Had simular problems myself Guy, Go through the carb. I didn't have to rebuild mine just cleaned it out (where the bowl is), count the turns on your jets, use the compressed air that you use for your computer to blow the holes out and try that buddy. Sounds like the float, at least that was mine."

Back