Logo

V6 looper cooling mod - how to do it.

daselbee

Advanced Contributor
For those interested, the PhotoBucket link shows details regarding an often discussed and argued V6 closed deck looper cooling modification that is reported to reduce the chance of piston ring locating pins migrating out. This is not a proprietary mod, as many shops have been doing it for years.

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/daselbee/Evinrude%20V6%20Looper%20Cooling%20Mod/

The template cost me about 100 bucks to do, mainly the drill bushings were costly, and I have done three blocks so far. I use this for my own personal engine work.

Considering a machine shop charge of roughly $200 bucks plus the shipping of the block back and forth, I figure I am way ahead. The time to complete each mod is about 30 mins.

The engines run COOL. Right at 140*, as measured at various places on the head with a digital temp gun.

Last edited:
Well, Guys, it is "fall on the ole sword time" for me.

I see there have been a few views of this thread, and I am not sure if any of you who viewed this thread had planned to do your own cooling modifications like I have done using the method shown on the PhotoBucket pages.

If so, don't do it.

I have missed a key step in the whole process. There are two passages located inside the block, that you access thru the bottom of the block. They must be drilled out and threaded and plugged. THIS WAS NOT IN MY ORIGINAL POST.

I missed these plugged passages, and therefore, my post was incorrect and incomplete.

I have deleted the PhotoBucket pictures.
I hope this has not caused anyone serious problems.

My apologies.

---Good reason to let MARFAB do it.....drilling holes in a block, at 9 oclock at nite,for the reg ol boater,may not work out too good!!!

Nope....you will never get me to pay that kind of money for such simple machine work. Sorry JWB.
By the time a block is sent off, worked by them, and returned, there would be $450.00 in just the cooling mod.
Add the boring, and other charges....and I just think it is way, way too expensive.
I am satisfied with the mods that I have made to my blocks.... NOW...

I am finishing up plugging the two passages in the bottom of my block(s) right now, not hard to do at all, but I will just keep this little procedure to myself.
The hold up was me dragging my feet in buying a tap extension...just never got around to it.

You keep on paying....and I am sure we will NEVER agree on this particular issue.

Back