Logo

Used exhaust manifold-worth buying? 1986 aq131a

film842

Contributing Member
I'm going to be pulling my the old manifold off of my 1986 AQ 131A tomorrow and my guess is that it will need replacing. I might be wrong, but since it's 24 years old....

If it needs replacement, I'm only aware of two alternatives: a new one from Osco for about $300 or a used one that I located for $150.

I could use some opinions on whether buying the used makes any sense at all even though I'd be saving some money. I haven't seen it, but it just seems odd to be replacing an old used manifold with another used manifold.

Any thoughts on this? What route would you take?

Re: Used exhaust manifold-worth buying?

Mike, I'd replace with new and forgo any issues that you may have with another used one!
Here's one for $250 + shipping of $15.71
You may even find one for less!

!Bo0rpnQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmI81IBLo+yku-oQ~~_35.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item439e207e73

Rick...thanks. Like they say on TV, "That's news I can use."

I'm going to have to sharpen my search skills because I never saw that manifold on eBay. At that price, I think I'll just buy it and plan on replacing the old one.

Got it. Bought that new manifold from eBay and should have it be the end of next week so now all I have to do is successfully pull the old one without breaking off a bolt or two.
I got pretty good advice from the Bayliner forum and how to prepare it for removal so now all I have to do is follow their instructions and skin my knuckles a bit.

When the old manifold is off, take a close look at the #4 cylinder exhaust port and inspect for corrosion. Good luck with the studs. You're right, that thread on the BOG has some good tips!

When the old manifold is off, take a close look at the #4 cylinder exhaust port and inspect for corrosion. Good luck with the studs. You're right, that thread on the BOG has some good tips!

There is (or was) the best set of instructions on replacing a gas tank that I've ever seen.

Back