Logo

Update stinger from power pack to cdi

Dan7398

I have a 1977 stinger 75 on my 1976 starcraft ss16.

My dad came into a 1986 60 hp with TnT that he just wants the TnT parts from, the rest is mine. Since the parts motor is newer and has cdi, is it as simple as swapping over all the cdi parts to the old motor?

Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

I have a 1977 stinger 75 on my 1976 starcraft ss16.

My dad came into a 1986 60 hp with TnT that he just wants the TnT parts from, the rest is mine. Since the parts motor is newer and has cdi, is it as simple as swapping over all the cdi parts to the old motor?

Is there any reason that wouldn't work?
Your motor already has a CDI.

Are you sure? I have the power pack with the 3 orange wires to the coils in the top 3 left positions and the 3 trigger wires coming from under the flywheel.

Same setup as my 1978 Johnson 70 parts motor and the 1978 evinrude 70 on the pontoon.

Are you sure? I have the power pack with the 3 orange wires to the coils in the top 3 left positions and the 3 trigger wires coming from under the flywheel.

Same setup as my 1978 Johnson 70 parts motor and the 1978 evinrude 70 on the pontoon.
Metal box with the cover and all the wires going to it is your CDI, just an early version.

That makes sense. And I'm still rocking some old plastic ones.

At this point it's a curiosity as much as anything, any reason swapping all the parts wouldn't work? I'm guessing it would be flywheel to plug boot gets replaced.

The 77 had electronic ignition.----Parts look a little different .----They work the same way and are just as reliable !!

Back