Logo

update on 270t trim issue

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
hey guys,
didn't hear from anyone on the 270t lift problem- so I isolated and caped off the hydrolic line to the trim piston at tank fitting manifold . the hose fitting was leaking under the pds housing- would have to pull engine and pds housing to get to the hydrolic fitting to replace line-- bad Volvo design! no wonder they discontinued the 270t model! ----- huge problem -- did not need the trim piston on my 27ft boat- i have to have lower unit all the way down to get the boat on plane and carry 1500 lbs live load without bobbing in the waves if I used the trim piston any way- useless---the straight up and down lift is all I need.
question-- since I capped off the lower trim piston hose at the tank manifold- will the hydrolic pressure blow the orings in the normal up and down lift cycle of the lower unit? your thoughts and suggestions please
thanks,
tmcboat

Re: power trim... I have a 280... no "power trim", just "pick the right pin in the transom shield" adjustment pre launch. I found that if I pick the pin that has the axis of the prop shaft at the same angle as the bottom of the hull all is cool... except, if I have a couple of people on board who insist on sitting on the engine box, then its time to tweak the bennett trim tabs. I understand that if you are pulling or hauling a big load, playing with the drive angle in real time can result in better acceleration... just not my operating profile.

Hey guys,
when I raise the lower unit on my 270 Is there supposed to be a brace to support the lower unit while trailering the boat so not to strain the hydrolic lines. I don't have anything- is it ok or do I need a support bracket- brace?
thanks,
tmcboat

Unless the 270T is different because it's a "T", the brace is a separate piece. I only trailer about 8 miles one way twice a season. With my mechanical lift its critical that the drive not bounce while held up on the lift rod. Sooo, I tie a line from one stern cleat twice arount the prop hub and rigger hitch it to the other cleat. Then I "lower" the tilt mechanism to make sure the lift rod is not in contact with the drive. On another of my boats, the stern cleats weren't high enough above the end of the drive for me to get a steep enough angle for good support. On that boat, I lifted the drive all the way, slid a 2x4 crossways between the transom shield and the drive, lowered the drive and tied the 2x4 in place. For frequent long distance trailering, I'd buy the correct brace. It looks like a "U" with the very tips of the ends bent outward @ 90 degrees.

Hi Sandkicker,
thanks for the info-- the transom of my 27 ft boat overhangs the back beam of the trailer a good 3-4 ft- I'll try and find a "u" brace but for now I'll use the 2x4 idea.We take the boat fishing 700 miles round trip 4x a year so I really think I need to brace the outdrive. I have had the boat for 44 years and I don't ever recall a Volvo penta support brace for the outdrive? did they ever make one? I tried ebay but no luck.
thanks,
tmcboat

Back