Logo

Update Damper TREX You name it

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Today started early and I dis

"Today started early and I discovered a very simple way to change the sparkplugs on those outboard sides against the hull. Take the engine out. We were surprised at the ease at which this went down...no pun.

The marina uses their travelift to hoist the engine and the operator is obviously expert with the controls and no view of what was happening below him. There were several opportunities for screw ups in that we had replaced the angle iron mounts and drilling new vertical holes and horizontal holes. Being 1 /32 off would not have allowed all of the motor mounts to line and and just drop in the bolts...but it all worked within 20 minutes.

Next we had to re connect all of the parts removed to gain access to motor mounts and once again, other than things that are 20 minute jobs taking 60, nothing remarkable.

We were about to call for the travelift when my brother said we should see that the engine starts...This is where we had a problem. The motor cranked nicely, the buzzers we buzzin', spark was sparkin' and after s few futile moments my brother asked if the starter was cranking in the right direction? HUH? Well there was the answer. We needed a RH starter and had picked up a standard LH instead.

So while we have an answer, we did not launch. I've gotta swap starters but from start to finish it took about 4 hours. The last hour spent fighting the muffer hoses and the 4" to 3" adapters. You know once they set for a few months, they do not like to separate.

I have a few pictures but they look the same as the engine coming out..so what would be the difference.

Back to squeezing in between the blocks and slicing skin on hose clamps. Maybe one day I can get hold of a 50 footer with an actual engine room!"

"Al, depsite the cut knuckles

"Al, depsite the cut knuckles and im sure a few curses, sounds like a succesful day"

No argument Ted. We still wen

No argument Ted. We still went home happy that we had gotten that far and KNEW what the problem was rather than speculate all night about what it MIGHT be.

Glad it went well (that ex

Glad it went well (that extra set of hands must help a whole lot) and you'll be floating soon.

Way to go Al. I remember figh

Way to go Al. I remember fighting that 4" to 3" adapter and the hose also. Did you buy one of those mini starters or the old 60 pounder?

"Does anyone have any thoughts

"Does anyone have any thoughts on why marine spark plugs have to be replaced so often. Even 10 year old cars were built with platinum tip spark plugs and called for a plug change at 100,000 mile intervals. Even at 50mph, that translates into 2000 hours of running. It seems that very few boaters ever equal that many hours even over a 5-10 year period. With that in mind, I don't understand the reason for a yearly plug change. Any thoughts???"

"EJ...60 lbs? Well pretty clo

"EJ...60 lbs? Well pretty close , no it is the older style much heavier and beefier. We had the option but elected to stay with the heavier, harder to handle at wierd positions, one.

Plugs, I tend to think marine use is substantially harder on engines and parts than automobiles. "

Al you start your car way more

Al you start your car way more than you would ever a boat. I just put in a cheap mini starter in a 1974 jet boat I'm trading a Harley for on Saturday. I removed the 60 pounder as it dropped into the bilge as I was trying to one hand it. I was thankful I didn't have to hold that behemoth starter back up there. Instead the new one weighed 3 pounds. For my Sleekcraft I put a better quality high torque mini started on the engine.

EJ...You've got my attenti

EJ...You've got my attention...WHAT Harley is it? Anything before 1966 ?

As for the mini starter. I know they work and my engines would probably start with a pull rope IF I had the (you know) to pull it. They start SO well as long as the gas stays in the line and in carb bowl.

The weight is substantially different. Luckily you did'nt have any damage

"Al the bike is a 2002 Softail

"Al the bike is a 2002 Softail. This is the jet I am trading:

294023.jpg

For

294024.jpg

Hopefully that jet gives me one last good ride."

"Nice Ride....Both of them. Y

"Nice Ride....Both of them. You realize the one ride that makes it break IS the last ride...take it slowly.

I had built a totalled 1989 FLHTC into the very first FLHS/Road King back in 1993. Painted it with the 1933 era tank graphic. The year HD almost went out of business. It looked great and turned a few heads. The tank took about 3 weeks to get right. When I sold it, the guy painted it all purple...WITH A SPRAY CAN !"

"Bob; On the plugs. It might

"Bob; On the plugs. It might be best to consider the amount of fuel the engine uses, not the engine hours or calendar time. Also, many people winterize and use fogging oil. I think oil is not good for plugs. I change plugs every other year, and see basically nil electrode wear.

On the car: I just bought a new car, and the platinum plugs are speced for 60k miles, on the non-turbo version, they are good for 100k miles, on the souped up/high boost model, only 30k miles. All the same plug."

Put the new starter in this af

Put the new starter in this afternoon. She started instantly. Apparantly during the "problem" it blew a fuse attached to the key switch that powered the flybridge starboard side gauges so I changed that and we are good to go... glad thats over with

Next?

"My opinion is that plug life

"My opinion is that plug life is short on our boats because of the crappy gas we burn. If it is not crappy when we buy it, it gets that way in our tanks. An additional factor on my engines is the fact that I run them at 1200 to 1400 RPM 90% or the time when I am crusing. Well, as I said, it is just my opinion.

Chuck"

"I just changed the plugs on o

"I just changed the plugs on our engines since it was so easy on the one that was already out of the boat. It has been almost 2, 7 month seasons and they had that perfect tan color on the ceramic and other than a really oxidized exterior, they looked fine in the electrode. Gap is .045 with E.S.T ignition. Would they last another season? Probably"

Back