Logo

Unusual noise from outboard

callnet

"Can anyone give their thought

"Can anyone give their thoughts on my problem. I have acquired a 19' Baretta with a 470 Mercruiser. The motor idles great but I clearly have a cooling problem. I can't get water thru from water inlet on bottom of foot to comeout of the pipe going from the outdrive to the heat exchanger. So I'm pretty sure I need to put a raw water pump on it. I can however get good water flow if I backwash it. My question: Will a water pump usually cause a tinging noise or could that be a more serious problem. When I put the outboard in gear it spins the prompt fine.

I was told the boat setup for 2 years inwhich prior to that the motor had been rebuilt.

Also, any quick fixes to a carb problem that runs fine at idle and part throtle but backfires and trys to die on acceleration. I think I have a mercarb 2 barrel but wonder if the accelerator pump is a typical problem. I don't think I see any fuel pumping out inside when pressing throttle down."

Clean the carb replace the acc

Clean the carb replace the accelerator pump and the impeller in the lower gear case

"Ok.
I had someone tell me

"Ok.
I had someone tell me it might be a timing advance issue, I thought accelerator pump was what it might be, so thanks.

One more question on the Carb though, I guess what I was itnially thinking about was could I possibly fix it with out having to pull the carb off. Maybe pull the top cover of the carb which should give me access to the accelerator plunger thing. Maybe just replace the rubber on the plunger. Would that possibly be all that I need to do since it runs otherwise fine?

On the raw water pump, is the pump in the lower portion or the upper portion of the outdrive? I assume I could just pull the lower portion off to get access to the pump. If this is correct can this be done with the outdrive tilted up or must it be all the way down. (Didn't know if there is a long spline shaft or what, and I don't have way of lifting the boat up if the tilt must be down)"

I do not think that is a very

I do not think that is a very good idea. If you should drop a screw or something into the carb you're screwed if it makes it's way to the intake.
This is not a hard part to remove so why take the chance?
The carb should be cleaned and checked for dirty jets and ports anyway.

"Very well,
On the raw water

"Very well,
On the raw water pump, is the pump in the lower portion or the upper portion of the outdrive? I assume I could just pull the lower portion off to get access to the pump. If this is correct can this be done with the outdrive tilted up or must it be all the way down. (Didn't know if there is a long spline shaft or what, and I don't have way of lifting the boat up if the tilt must be down)"

Back