Logo

Unknown Boat

littletexas39

"I bought some property that h

"I bought some property that had a boat sitting out on it.upon inspection it was a fiberglass boat with the name Clipper at the stern of the boat. It does not have an engine my step-dad says it is a 14 foot boat and I am not sure as to what size engine to even look at. It does need some cleaning up and the hull looks to be in good shape despir it sitting on the ground all winter. Any help with this would help me out alot. I can even get a few pictures of it useing my phone if that will help. thanks
question.gif
"

"Old fiberglass boats(50-7

"Old fiberglass boats(50-75) that have sat out for years can be "brittle". a careful hull inspection would be a great safety check.

I'd not over power an olde timer! 10 hp would make it an ok fishing boat, but never a water ski boat.

Most states and the coast guard have charts to calculate the safe horsepower of "home built boats. They use the length, beam (width and center depth. You should be able to find one on the net, I've seen them on there before.

Safety first...and always.

Harry S"

"Old fiberglass boats(50-7

"Old fiberglass boats(50-75) that have sat out for years can be "brittle". a careful hull inspection would be a great safety check.

I'd not over power an olde timer! 10 hp would make it an ok fishing boat, but never a water ski boat.

Most states and the coast guard have charts to calculate the safe horsepower of "home built boats. They use the length, beam (width and center depth. You should be able to find one on the net, I've seen them on there before.

Safety first...and always.

Harry S

Here is that coastguard sit. It gives detailed ways to figure your safe horsepower from the boat measurements.
Good luck
http://www.uscg.mil/d8/mso/louisville/WebStuff/comdtpubp16761_3b.pdf#search='horsepower%20rating%20measurement%20boat'"

Back