Logo

unknown alarm

spahrticus

Alarm sounds don't match descriptions in Seloc manual. Have the sounds changed with VRO upgrades or are sounds dependent on the alarm itself? (Do not know if this is original alarm for boat or it was switched at some point. It's an '85 and I just bought it this spring.)
What I have found so far:
Constant alarm means over heat unless it goes away when you throttle down, then it can mean a fuel restriction, except that should only be on V6 and I have a V4.
1/2 second alarm every 20 seconds means low oil on original VRO.
10 second alarm can mean low oil or no oil on VRO2, again, do not know if part has been switched out. My motor is a 1985 90HP VRO V4 Evinrude and should have VRO as original part.
I did find two references in the forum that the writer assigned to indicating a bad VRO. One described an alarm that alternated 1/2 second on and a 1/2 second off, while the other described 1 second on and 1 second off. My issue was an alarm that was two seconds on and two seconds off. I took a gamble and replaced the VRO pump. During the oil prime test I got an alarm that was pretty much 1.5 second on and 1.5 second off. I went ahead and connected the oil line and alarm does not seem to come on. (Have not lake tested yet, just a hose in the drive way, but idled a lot longer than was necessary to get alarm previously.) Hopefully this means my issue is resolved, however, why did I not get the no/low alarm as described in the manual?

Alarm sounds don't match descriptions in Seloc manual........... I went ahead and connected the oil line and alarm does not seem to come on....... Why did I not get the no/low alarm as described in the manual?

To test the VRO warning, when running at idle or whatever, clamp off the oil line with vice grips or some such tool. The warning horn of a beep every other second (No Oil) should sound within one minute.

It's not a life or death scenario so the timing you see in a manual may vary ie every other second, every two seconds, whatever... but it will not be so variable as to be confused with the other warnings as stated below.

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.
(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Back