Logo

Unique Problem

93mantaray

I have a 1993 Manta Ray Bow ri

I have a 1993 Manta Ray Bow rider and it has a 4.3L Murcruiser in it but I have an OMC Cobra drive unit on it. The issue is that at times I am having problems shifting and sometimes I have to turn off the Eng to get it into neutral. I changed the lower gear oil and have not run it since but I don't feel that will solve the problem.

"The Model number on the side

"The Model number on the side of the Eng is...987334 with the 4.3 and Serno... T0773953. I am doubting this is Orig equipment seeing how I don't think a mercruiser and an OMC would be teamed up, but again I may be wrong."

"might want to get the numbers

"might want to get the numbers off the actual outdrive to see what year the drive itself is and whether it's clutch dog or cone clutch type. I suspect a 1992.
If so, You can read about how the ESA system works to help disengage your drive to neutral here:

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

"987334 doesn't match, cou

"987334 doesn't match, could it be 987344? If so then it's off a 1993 4.3, still has a dog clutch in it so it should also have an ESA (if it was an OMC) since it's on a Merc, it's anyone's guess. Merc used to just use an interrupt switch that momentarily grounded out the coil letting you shift into neutral easily, the problem with that was if the adjustment was off the switch would hang up too long and stall the engine. Maybe if you could take a few pics where the shift cables install at then engine we could see if you have an ESA or not?"

Back