Logo

type of oil used in two stroke outboard

tgeers

Hi guys
I'm curious. Does it matter what type of oil is mixed with the gas in a two stroke outboard? Marine oil for outboards is quite different than regular 10w30. I've used both in the past, but wondered if regular oil is just as good for my motor.
As always, your comments are appreciated by this old-timer.
Tgeers

Last edited:
You cannot put 4 strk oil in a 2 strk. Use Tcw 3 2strk oil in outboards. There was a time sae 30 was used but the Tcw rated oil is far superior.

Last edited:
Well, for decades Evinrude and Johnson asked you to dump a quart of SAE 30 in your Cruise-a-day 6 gallon tank, so yeh you can use regular motor oil. 2-stroke is made from castor bean oil which burns at a higher temp, thus adding additional cooling to the engine. These days you are bombarded with a gazillion options, so, use what the manual for your engine tells you.

flyingscott, I always thought oil is oil, but have now learned there are differences in oil for different applications. I have used 4stroke oil in this 2stroke outboard. What are the consequences of doing that? I had some left over 4stroke oil and used it up. It is not a common practice, but several 6gal tanks had 4stroke in it. What problems could I expect to see from doing so? Thank you advance for your response,

At least you used something. The best thing to use is what the manufacturer says to use. It'll be in the literature. If you don't have the manual, look on line. If you can't find something there, our hosts may have it for a small feee.

I believe BRP ( Johnson / Evinrude ) will supply parts for many years for all those fine motors out there.----Likely will be first in the electric marine propulsion field in the near future.

Lesson learned! I certainly will be more cautious in the future. As mentioned, I'm relatively new to the boating world and am dependent on fine folks like you to keep me upright on the water.
Tony

Back