Logo

Twisted Prop Shaft

Justtinkerin

Hello, I am rebuilding a 2005 90 HP Johnson Lower Unit and found what looks like twisted Splines on the Prop Shaft. Are Prop Shafts manufactured this way?

The Prop Shaft is not bent or tapered in the area of the spines.

Thanks

No they are not made that way.--------And with that kind af damage the gears really should be replaced as well.-------------Easier / cheaper to find a used lower unit.------------Unless it is a 4 stroke JOHNZUKI

As posted above ...not made that way. You need to tear down unit as internal damage has occurred and spline are highly likely to be twisted on pinion/driveshaft also. If in my shop I would inform customer that all internals need replaced....

As posted above ...not made that way. You need to tear down unit as internal damage has occurred and spline are highly likely to be twisted on pinion/driveshaft also. If in my shop I would inform customer that all internals need replaced....

Yep Thought I would ask I didn't think they would machine the twist like that. I also found the Pinion and the Forward gear damages. Thanks for your Expertise.

Curious.... Just what did that prop hit at full throttle to do that... a sub? I was in this line of work for a good many years and never saw anything like that!

I hit a manatee at 3000 rpm, running about 30, and it cracked my forward gear on a V6.

That twist is some major damage there!!!!

Curious.... Just what did that prop hit at full throttle to do that... a sub? I was in this line of work for a good many years and never saw anything like that!

The owner claims he was just unloading off of trailer and wouldn't go in gear. He thought the cables had stretched and replaced the cables. I told him as a friend I would take a look at it for him and just as I pulled the upper plug for draining the oil seen it had metal shavings and told him at that time it was not the cables. He was just backing it off trailer? I guess he is lucky he still has Prop.

Back