Logo

Twin 30 GSsx drives

sean_k

"Hi folks! I was out @ sea tri

"Hi folks! I was out @ sea trial yesterday on a '96 regal 258 commodore with approx 600hrs. The boat ran fine ( achieved approx 20 knots @ 3500 rpm and 27 knots @ 4200 rpm going against a strong fraser river current here in New Westminster, B.C.) The mechanics said it performed well. Compression was all over 165 except for one hole on the starboard motor(compression only 105). Mech said it could be a hole in the valve (best case, or a shot cylinder,worst case). The broker figures it could be stuck from just sitting. As we all know , it's a crap shoot until the heads off. Does anyone ot there have any experience with this issue or thoughts on this one? Also any thoughts on whether the boat has enough power for two people (mostly) with two small dogs? Any help would be appreciated as it's our first boat! Thanks in advance, Sean K"

"I think You should pull that

"I think You should pull that head before buying. valve job is not too big of a deal. but a ruined cylinder, or piston is big money. performance sounds good, but keep in mind there's more than people and dogs you will be carrying. count on at least a half tonne (Canadian, eh?)of gear. good luck, watch out for whales(I hear they're killers) and if You go to Point Bob. tell them Hi. S."

"Roger that, Scott. We'll

"Roger that, Scott. We'll try to get the owner to fix the issue BEFORE we purchase the boat.That way if any other problems arise, he'll sort it out.Hopefully! We also found out the tachs were reading 200 rpms high a side.Maybe with a tune up, a fixed hole, and a little wind behind us, we'll squeeze some more juice outta that sucker!! P.S. On sea trial, there were a total of 4 people + a heavy tool box (mechanics ) and a quarter tank of gas,and maybe a little H2O in tanks.I'm thinking that load simulated the little lady , me, our 2 rotten dogs and some of our gear. Whaddaya think? Thanks for your input EH! Sean"

I would personally think it&#3

I would personally think it's a bit under powered but this performance is not bad. Just remember with 2 engines you always get home.

Just bought our first boat. re

Just bought our first boat. regal commodore 258. Nice. Boat has some chalking on bow .We don't want to lift the boat out to fully wax /antifoul 'till next fall.Any suggestions what we could use to protect the boat over winter?

Back