Logo

Twin 1987 Crusader 454 Rebuild - Assisntance needed

kjnstl

Good day everyone. First post on this forum. I have just acquired a 1987 Wellcraft St. Tropez which has a solid hull, good interior, windows need sealed, deck seats need recovered and the strips need painted. All simple enough for me to do. The engines were fogged with marvels miracle oil several years ago. STB carb had been previously removed and the intake is very rusted. Niether engine will turn with a bar. I assume that they both would need full restoration and over boring. Questions... should I replace the exhaust manifolds and oil coolers at time of restoration? Any suggestions for determining the status of the V-Drives? I paid VERY little for the boat so I have some room for power plants but I do not want to get into this and have a real money pit. Any advice and assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

KJ

With a 25 year old boat that you have no knowledge of you should assume the worst. I would plan on purchasing complete new engines. Have the transmissions and V drives rebuilt and reuse them. You will have a very good idea of the considerable costs involved with few surprises. Add in the labor cost to remove & reinstall plus some extra for new batteries, wiring,hoses, replacing old gauges, odds & ends. The hull must be checked to be sure it is 100% before you even consider this very expensive project.

Back