Logo

Trying to remover Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 1

buckz6319

Regular Contributor
I am in need of some advice on how to remove this outdrive from the gimbal housing. I think she is welded to the gimbal bearing, what a mess. I don't want to damage any parts, because I have some sold, however I am not worried about the drive, just the gimbal ring, and housing mating surfaces
any help, tricks, ect would be much appreciated...thanks! I have tried the drop on wood, but she ain't budging much, yet

I have the outdrive in Forward, and have used an entire can of PB Blaster on the gimbal bearing
here are some pics of where I am with the removal, about 1/2" out...darn thing!! Nasty!
0619141901_zps2ukfqdsn.jpg

0619141902_zpszttsdwg4.jpg

OK, re-attach the rams, obtain wood to act as spacers between the top of the drive and the transom
.CAREFULLY USE THE TRAILER BUTTON to work the drive off using additional spacers as needed.

OK, re-attach the rams, obtain wood to act as spacers between the top of the drive and the transom
.CAREFULLY USE THE TRAILER BUTTON to work the drive off using additional spacers as needed.
I have thought about that, however I also have the rams, and pump sold, so was unsure if it would damage these parts

Got the damn thing off!! I would not recommend doing it this way, but with a trashed ourdrive I had no choice. The engine was out of alignment I suspect, so that maybe why it was so hard to remove
0621141603_zpsykihhm4d.jpg

0621141605a_zps4q7yjhza.jpg

Nice job.. Engine alignment will make it difficult every time. By the way, love your shop floor. Looks like a place I worked at years back. Good times!

Nice job.. Engine alignment will make it difficult every time. By the way, love your shop floor. Looks like a place I worked at years back. Good times!
thanks! I hate the shop floor, it is my back yard, too many Oak trees to have grass, so it looks like crap...but it is a good floor, until it rains while I'm laying on it lol

Bad alignment does not make for a difficult removal it make for difficult installation....................................

the reason it would not come out my be the rust all over the damn thing. Boat probably filled with water from the inside of the boat several times and rusted everything including the gimbal bearing and shaft to the gimbal bearing.......

Also all that grease/oil all over everything is either the grease got washed out or a upper carrier seal leak.....

My reccomendation.

scrap this project, go to a larson or bayliner dealer, buy a brand new 18-19 ft boat with a V6 in it. Finance it for ten years.

Be done with it and go boating before the summer is over............you are way over your head and ll you will end up with is a very large head ache and a lot less money.

Bad alignment does not make for a difficult removal it make for difficult installation....................................

the reason it would not come out my be the rust all over the damn thing. Boat probably filled with water from the inside of the boat several times and rusted everything including the gimbal bearing and shaft to the gimbal bearing.......

Also all that grease/oil all over everything is either the grease got washed out or a upper carrier seal leak.....

My reccomendation.

scrap this project, go to a larson or bayliner dealer, buy a brand new 18-19 ft boat with a V6 in it. Finance it for ten years.

Be done with it and go boating before the summer is over............you are way over your head and ll you will end up with is a very large head ache and a lot less money.
Thanks Kghost

Back