Logo

Troubleshooting help… Red light - injectors and spark plugs.

doodlebug1700

Hi, thank you in advance for any help on this.

Life got in the way and our outboard was sat for a while which would have made the fuel go stale - so to speak. I refreshed the fuel and when moving the boat it would keep loosing power. I suspect it was only working on one of the two cylinders (4 stroke 15hp).

I did try running through injector cleaner but no luck so planned to take the injectors off for cleaning. Life got in the way again and 6 months later I am now having another look.

I removed the injectors and thought I could give them a clean by leaving the electronics connected and pouring injector cleaner into the pipe whilst upside down. This may be a stupid idea but having seen people bench test engines they just connect a 12v across the injector and it pumps. So I thought the best safest connector I have for the outboard is the one that is currently attached.

I cranked the engine and a high pitched beeeeeep noise is made and a red light is on the front - I can’t remember if that was the normal start up procedure? Nothing came out the injectors. Do they need to be pressurised to work?

Spark plugs look fine. The engine is basically new and hardly used.

I would take the engine off and take it to be looked at but it is on a UK Narrowboat. I am nowhere near a service centre (nowhere near the sea!) and our mooring is 100m down a winding path. Basically I want to fix in situ because taking it off and moving it to the car represents a hard days work and will likely see it get damaged. I obviously can’t move the boat to a place to take it off with no engine.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Doodlebug.

This may be a stupid idea but having seen people bench test engines they just connect a 12v across the injector and it pumps.
Do they need to be pressurised to work?
Doodlebug.

There is usually much more involved to get a test bench working.

Yes, think of the injectors as hi speed, electronically controlled valves...

You’re right, hauling a 15hp by hand is not fun.
I use a wagon. Lay the kicker on some cardboard & pretend you’re 12 years old doing your paper route again.
I hauled a 9.9 & full gas tank nearly 1Km this way, without a huge amount of sweat.
live seen the Narrow Boats, in the canal along Regent Park when I was in London, looks like a nice way to tour the Country.

Back