Logo

Trouble starting.1985 35hp

seventhson

Have 1988 35 Force. Never had trouble starting at home. With muffs, or in drum. Started perfect at lake untill warmed up. Took out Thursday, fished short time, got ready to leave, wouldn't start. Hasn't started since. Motor rebuilt not long ago. Getting plenty of fuel. Turning over at normal rpm. Has new batteries, spark plugs, fuel diaphragm. Before Thursday, only had trouble starting in lake, after being run. Even for only a few moments. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Wayne

Re: Trouble starting.

Thanks Jerry. Will do the checks and let you know how it went. Been a while since carb cleaned. Will get that done too. Wayne

Hello Jerry. Did compression check. 120 on both. Is that good? After test put plugs back in, motor fires right up. After not starting for over a week. Starts and runs like new again.
Strange. Haven't done anything to it. Any ideas? Thanks. I welcome any ideas from anyone.

Sometime tilting the motor(float sticks???) to travel and sometimes just setting and the motor decides it don't wanna run.GREMLINS!!! J

That's good Jerry. Gremlins! I was beginning to think it was all that refer I smoked back in the 70s. How about 120 on the compression? Is that good? Thanks. Wayne

!20 is good man, anything over a 100 is acceptable. 120 is pretty good. I agree, clean the carb anyway. Also check grounds on coils and stuff like that. My 50 had to have all the ground at the same dang place or I got weak spark on the top cylinder.

Hey Force, that's cool partner. I appreciate it. Going out now to do the carb. Have a good week-end man. Will let you know how it went. Thanks, Wayne

With a good tester you should get 150+ both cylinders.The important thing is even comp both at 120 is great more than 10# difference is a sign of trouble.The guage might read different than mine.J

Re: Forcebwitu

Force, How's it going man. Sorry about your cooling problem. I don't have enough experience to offer advice. Wished I did. Cleaned carb in my motor (35Force), took out yesterday, ran good, even at idle. Got ready to go, and again, wouldn't start. Thought it may need gas, squeezed bulb, after first squeeze bulb got rock hard. Brought home, took off line from tank to filter on filter end, squeezed bulb, shot gas 3 to 4 ft. Took off line to carb (both ends), blew thru...clean. Whatta u think? Hope you find cooling solution. Thanks, Wayne

Re: Jerryjerry

Hello J, Thought you went overboard. Appreciate response. It's good to know 120 comp. is ok. I've worked on cars, pick-ups, and big trucks. Know nothing about marine, except that it means wet. Behind fuel filter; is that where fuel pump is located? Is diaphragm the paper thin gaskit behind round filter housing? Thanks J. Wayne

Back