Logo

Trouble shooting no spark. 89 70hp evinrude

Texxxican

It shut down while running full tilt couple of years ago. Got it fired up 2 weeks ago, though rough. then it wouldn't start anymore. in the last 2 weeks I cleaned and rebuilt fuel system( including carbs), compression is top 95# 92#91#. No spark. obviously i had spark when it ran 2 weeks ago, but now nothing. I am using an inline spark tester light. Nothing on all 3. I unplugged red plug to bypass ignition and kill switch, then jumped starter. still no spark. I got a manual and am starting Ohm tests. i do not know what i am doing. I am doing my best to learn. according to the manual, i believe, i did an ohm test on four wire plug. (2 blues, green and whiteish.) D-A 11.7. D-C 11.1. D-B 0. B was 0 to all. Battery is pulled. Same numbers with switch on and off. I will keep looking at manual. Any and all help troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.

sorry, i forgot something. while using test light for spark, i received a slight shock from Bottom plug cable. not much though. so, some electricity is getting through? i would love to get this motor fixed. Again, thanks.

IMG_1715.jpg

Charge the battery.----Load test the battery.----Check battery cables.-----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature..----No beer tokens spent doing these things !

Charge the battery.----Load test the battery.----Check battery cables.-----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature..----No beer tokens spent doing these things !
battery / cables are new. charged. I have not taken starter apart yet. I didn't know that would kill spark. Its turning over fast. I was thinking it was something under fly wheel. I'll Ohm test whatever y'all think will figure it out.

pull the spark plugs out and crank it over to see if you get spark,if you do it's not cranking fast enough.Unhook your yellow wires from the rectifier and see if you get spark.Check resistance on the stator and check to make sure it's not grounding out.

Back