Logo

trolling motor and battery help

I have a 36v minn kota terrova, I keep the batteries charging on an onboard triton 3 bank charger usualy but I didn't plug it in after a day out on the water because I didn't use it much, I put it back in the water yesterday and when I started using it it was dying very fast, within 20 mins it was almost completely dead, when I got home I plugged It in over night, I started the motor back up on full blast the next morning and could just watch it die down within a few minutes, I don't think the batteries are very old, I just baught the boat a month ago and the guy I baught it from said he replaced everything within the last 6 months, does this sound like there might be something wrong with the trolling motor or batteries! I don't want to have to spend 500 dollars on new batteries right now!!

we are going to need a little more info...i assume you have 3 batteries hooked in series...i assume you have used this trolling motor and used this charging system enough to know that the hookup and the charger used will do the job..is that correct?....what is the voltage going to the trolling motor after a charge?..if you disconnect the positive lead going to the trolling motor and reconnect it with the trolling motor turned off do you see any spark?no matter how weak the spark it should not be there....when the guy you bought it from said he replaced everything... what problem was he trying to fix?...just reread your entry...make sure those batteries are in series and not parallel..... please describe your charger and how you are hooking it up...

we are going to need a little more info...i assume you have 3 batteries hooked in series...i assume you have used this trolling motor and used this charging system enough to know that the hookup and the charger used will do the job..is that correct?....what is the voltage going to the trolling motor after a charge?..if you disconnect the positive lead going to the trolling motor and reconnect it with the trolling motor turned off do you see any spark?no matter how weak the spark it should not be there....when the guy you bought it from said he replaced everything... what problem was he trying to fix?...just reread your entry...make sure those batteries are in series and not parallel..... please describe your charger and how you are hooking it up...

I have used it a lot, ive never had any problems, I honestly don't know how it is hooked up, this is the first trolling motor over 12 volt I have owned, I will hill hook it up this morning and check the voltage when I get home this evening, all I know about the charger is that it is a triton special edition 3 bank pro, but even tho it doesn't have much power left after a few mins. the battery tester on the minn kota will still say 3 bars or even full sometimes!
image_zps3a556a06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

its hard to tell with a picture but i see something with the top 2 batteries i dont like...first of all i would expect a heave wire to be going from the 2nd from bottom battery negative post to the the positive post of the 3rd from bottom battery...that way the 3 bottom batteries would be in series with good heavy cables carrying the current...and the trolling motor would be hooked from the top 3rd from top battery negative post and the bottom battery positive post..it appears to me that you may have a wiring error on the top two batteries with the heavy red wires...a word of caution here..i say it APPEARS and i could be mistaken because i cant really trace the wires from the picture...if the heavy red wire on your 3rd from bottom battery goes to the engine do the following:remove 1.the red wire going from the 3rd battery negative post to the top battery...completely remove it for now....2.disconnect the red wire from the positive post on the 3rd battery if this is your ignition wire...let it hang out of he way for now...3.connect the red wire removed in step one between the negative terminal of the 2nd battery from the bottom and connect it to the positive terminal of the 3rd battery..4.verify and move connections to hook up trolling motor between the negative terminal on top battery and positive terminal on bottom battery..make sure the polarity is correct...5.take the red wire left dangling in step two and connect to the top battery positive post...
if i am correct you now have a full 36volts going to your trolling motor and you have your ignition battery isolated from the trolling motor batteries...but again a word of caution....if i am wrong because i cannot see or trace the wiring then scrap this whole deal and get back to us...(after looking and relooking at the picture the heavy black wire on the 3rd from bottom battery is probably the ground for the engine and should go on the top (green) battery negative post..again i cant trace the wires but the more i look at it the more i think you are wired wrong...

if you dont fully understand the theory and know how to wire it i would get someone who does to take a look at it...i am not being critical here..i just dont want to damage anything or burn up something...it would not take 15 minutes for someone who knows what he is doing to trace the wires and say that you are wired correctly or you are wired wrong..

if you dont fully understand the theory and know how to wire it i would get someone who does to take a look at it...i am not being critical here..i just dont want to damage anything or burn up something...it would not take 15 minutes for someone who knows what he is doing to trace the wires and say that you are wired correctly or you are wired wrong..

I am having the same problem with my Terrova IPilot. I charge the battery using a NOCO Genius 10 Amp charger and within just a few minutes on the lake the battery seems week. I can't get a GPS signal nor can I do an anchor lock with the remote control for the Terrova. It is a 2013 model Lund with a 2013 Terrova IPilot installed by the dealership. It worked fine all spring and summer until about September. I plan on having the battery checked today by an Interstate Battery Dealer and then have the charger checked. Everything is still under warranty except the NOCO Charger which is about 3 years old. Anyone else have any ideas?

Took the Deep Cycle to the Interstate Dealership and the 11 month old battery had a bad cell. I was given a new battery at no charge. After installing the new battery, the Terrova trolling motor appears to have returned to it's normal operation.

Back