Logo

trim up or down

I/O drives should always be stored in the down position so that the drive bellows do not take a set in a bent/curved position...premature failure could occur.

Is it better to leave your outdrive trim up or down when Not in use?

I/O drives should always be stored in the down position so that the drive bellows do not take a set in a bent/curved position... premature failure could occur.
guyjg, had you not posted this, I sure would have..... good advice! :D

Funny thing is...., no where in the OEM service manuals will this be suggested..... Merc, OMC or Volvo Penta!
Perhaps they want to ensure service work! :mad:

Maybe the Maytag Repairman could take a lead from this! :D

Last edited:
As stated before allways leave drive stored in the down position, You will never get all of the water out of the pump assy, but there will be enough expansion space that any residual water won"t matter, Or if you winterize using anti-freeze supplied thru the drive your good to go.

Duckhunter, being the anal SOB that I am, I cringe when I see a boat being stored with the drive all the way UP.
Any of us who work on these, know the results after a given amount of time doing this.

.......... Or if you winterize using anti-freeze supplied thru the drive your good to go.
OH NO..... don't get me started on this one!:mad:
It's way too early in the season, and you'll end up not liking my take on this.
Let's wait until Fall to discuss this one! :D

My 2 cents.......

I have been stroring my boat outside since 1995 and prior to that hundreds of other peoples boats (northeast/New england area) throughout the winter/summer including my own with the outdrive up all the way.

Never seen an issue with either water/ice or the bellows.......Maybe why there is NO mention of it in the manuals.......

Not sayin that down is wrong, bad or what ever.

Just saying to the best of my knowledge, my bellows was the original and I relaced it as a precautionary measure 3 years ago, My boat is a 1987. That is /was over 20 years on the original ujoint bellows. I purchased the boat with 250 hours on it in '95 so I feel it had the original bellows.

I winterize and shrinkwrap my own boat and I leave the outdrive UP and uncovered at the prop.....

No disputing anyones opinion but simply demonstrating mine.............just sayin................

Nor am I disputing you, Kghost, and your statement is a fair one.

Here's my take, and I've seen the differences.

These drive shaft bellows are heat injection mold formed in a shape that most ressembles a drive when in the full down and straight ahead position.
That would be pretty tough to argue, would you agree?

We can expect them to flex and stretch as needed when a drive is raised, and/or turned Port/Stbd, and during short durations.

I guess perhaps the best way to explain this, would be to ask which position we believe lends itself to the longest usable life span and with the least potential for stress and stretch damage?

Likewise with our sea water pump impellers.
Those who remove their impellers for the winter, can easily get another safe season from them.

Perhaps we're splitting a few hairs here..... but I do believe it can make a difference.
My drives are always fully down, and my impellers are always removed at lay up time.

Each to his own, I suppose!

Each to his own, I suppose!

Ayuh,.... I buy into the keepin' it Down, whenever possible....

Sunlight rots rubber,... if it's shaded, it'll last longer....

Some Critters love chewin' on rubber,.... If they can't get to it, it'll last longer.... ;)

I take my alpha 1 outdrive off every winter.problem solved....when I moor it, it's up halfway or I'll get stuck in the mud at low tide otherwise it would be down.

Back