Logo

Trim tilt unit (showa model)

Miked9

Have a 2011 honda 40hp four stroke and am trying to remove the trim tilt unit to replace seals in ram. Have removed all bolts and pins but it still won't come out. Seems to be stuck in around the botto bolt section, just wondering if there is a secondary bush in there that i have to take out first. Any suggestions.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're having trouble with but where the tilt hangs up on me mostly is the pivot bushings (items 11 in the parts page link below)

And, you pretty much have to unbolt and take off the right side stern bracket or, pivot it out of the way, to slide out the "distance collar" (item 24) because of those spacers.

I know it looks like you should be able to get the tilt motor out without moving the stern bracket but I haven't been able to do it.

If you leave the left bracket on it can help support the outboard in place. With the ram end of the tilt motor disconnected you can tilt the outboard up to such a degree that it sort of balances over the transom. If you put it in that position and then lash the powerhead down inside the boat, you reduce the weight that is on the left stern bracket to almost nothing and you can safely remove the right bracket without having to use a jack or crane to hold the outboard up.

Good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/parts.html

Back