Logo

trim tilt unit compatibility

oil driver

Contributing Member
The trim tilt unit on my 94 225 Ocean Pro has multiple problems. It takes a very long time to go down and it has the banging condition I saw discussed in a thread in this forum, Going up is also slow at first, and then operates normally. After filling the reservoir I am going to disconnect the the main piston to see if it, or the motor, or both is the problem I found a reconditioned fast track unit from a 98 115. Is this compatible? Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks in advance for the usual excellent advice.

Tilt/Trim..... A long time going down is usually due to the combination tilt tube/steering tube becoming frozen due to rust/corrosion and the retaining nuts being too tight. Loosen one of the nuts a half turn and do the WD-40 routine while banging the steering bracket back & forth sideways.

The slow up problem is normally due to the reservoir not being completely full.... Fill in the completely tilted up position only, lowering only after re-inserting the fill plug. Also, a faulty electrical connection (dirty/corroded/loose) will result in a slow running electric motor.

What's compatible I'll leave to another member as I retired in 1991 and am not sure of the interchange setup.

Dear Joe
I filled the reservoir and I got a little better result in both directions. As I went to the boat immediately after I asked for advice, I did not see your response until just now. Tomorrow before I launch, I will try the rest. Thanks much for the help/

If the rollers are locked up on midsection it will cause the unit to bind and pop. Make sure they are free and add a dab of grease to thrust pads on end of trim cylinders.

Hi guys,

I finally got around to fixing the tilt/trim on my 94 225 Evinrude. The motor was in the down position and the manual release was frozen. As an educated guess I hoped it was the tilt motor because when I moved the wire, I got intermittent action.For a few days I sprayed the release with a mix of wd40,pb blaster, and marvel mystery oil.Then I pulled the boat at my local boat ramp and heated the release with a cheap propane torch,(Iused mapp gas as it's hotter) for 5 minutes. I had my screwdriver set to go with a pair of visegrips attached. It worked! The manual release screw turned.I put an oil pan down to catch the oil. Then I lifted the engine with a floor jack and chocked it in the fully raised position with a 10" 4x4. I left the jack in place for security. I just hate losing fingers. Next, I removed the sender(the spring loaded lever) to get easier access to the back left bolt on the trim motor. Using a 1/4" drive setup with a swivel on the 3/8" socket plus a 3" extension, that bolt came right out. The other three are easy. I played with the old motor after removing it and sure enough if I moved the wires just so, the *#!!#*? motor worked just fine. Anyway, after carefully cleaning the plate,I installed the new motor,turned the release back to the closed position, filled the reservoir,operated the engine up and down a couple of times, and it works better than it ever has since I got it 3 years ago. Just remember to make sure the safety stuff is taken care of, because the engine is in freefall mode with the manual release open. It will take off anything you have if it slips! :(

Back