Logo

Trim Switch on Honda BF50a.

Things continue to go well, all the troubleshooting help - especially with HondaDudes help - has nailed issue after issue. Almost there.
The trim switch, under the motor, seems stiff. Doesn't spin and spring back to a neutral position. From my earlier thread, I get an intermittent beep from the warning buzzer, I think it has to be trim related. I'll assume - have not got close to it yet - that this trim switch springs under pressure when the motor is down, and follow the motor up due to the spring. It should not be stiff and non responsive, and it moves but sticks in one place when you move it by hand. Only had a couple of minutes tonight on the water to figure it out as it was getting dark. Thoughts?

19' Carolina Skiff, 12 pitch prop, 4600 WOT RPM, and 25 mph. = Next Challenge. I would like a little more speed.

Yep! That could be it. I can not remember if you have a trim gauge. If not just follow the wires and disconnect disconnect the leads. They connect in the lower section of the connector bracket on the port side of the engine. The beeping will probably go away.

If you do not have a trim gauge, leave it disconnected. If you have a trim gauge then just replace it when you get to it. Be sure to order by your serial number. There are a couple of different ones.

Mike

Pulled the trim gauge, still get an on again, off again warning buzzer when motor is running. Never stops, not continuous tone. Thoughts?

Good news, the trim switch with a little electrical cleaner/lube and working back and forth has loosened up. Hopefully it passes the resistance test and I can install with trim gauge when we drop the new console in this winter.

Boat runs well, solid stream of water.

Rory

Last edited:
I thought you were going to disconnect the trim sender. Disconnecting the trim gauge will not do anything.

If disconnecting the sender does not do it, then disconnect the connections going to the small box that the sender plugs into.

Mike

Curious - What does the trim module do? Does this impact up/down operation of the trim/tilt? I cannot tell from the wiring diagram - the large poster version that I have. I may be able to get the boat on the water tonight to test. Also, PM'd you.

The module only deals with the trim meter and the alarm.

After looking at the diagram, all you really have to do is disable the lead from the trim control unit to the alarm lead going to the alarm itself.

On the connector bracket (where most of the wires are interconnected),about 4th from the bottom, should be a yellow/green lead. That is where it connects to the regular alarm lead. Disconnect it there and you can reconnect everything else and not send a trim alarm.

Your overheat alarm should function as usual.

Mike

The module only deals with the trim meter and the alarm.

After looking at the diagram, all you really have to do is disable the lead from the trim control unit to the alarm lead going to the alarm itself.

On the connector bracket (where most of the wires are interconnected),about 4th from the bottom, should be a yellow/green lead. That is where it connects to the regular alarm lead. Disconnect it there and you can reconnect everything else and not send a trim alarm.

Your overheat alarm should function as usual.

Mike

When I had the panel open early on, I noticed that this wire had been disconnected, the yellow/green bullet connector broken off. I replaced, and re-connected. I suspect earlier owner had the issue and resolved it this way. By re-attaching, the problem returned. Go figure. Took a look at lunch, that was the wire - yellow & green - that I had fixed. Since it does alarm when connected, and no trim switch is present, the component in question is now the trim module.. One step at a time, one step at a time. The Honda Service Manual and I are getting well acquainted. Tonight I'll check out the trim module specs.

The lead that you repaired was the sender lead to operate your gauge.

The yellow green should kill your alarm.

Mike

Yep! That could be it. I can not remember if you have a trim gauge. If not just follow the wires and disconnect disconnect the leads. They conneurect in the lower section of the connector bracket on the port side of the engine. The beeping will probably go away.

If you do not have a trim gauge, leave it disconnected. If you have a trim gauge then just replace it when you get to it. Be sure to order by your serial number. There are a couple of different ones.
ill do
Mike
Hondadude.... Can I ask you a related question? On my Honda 50 the trim will always go up but only goes down after I work the switch up and down multiple times. This happens no matter if I use the switch on the motor or if I use the switch on the throttle. I have been pushing in the switch on the motor and spraying contact cleaner behind it and eventually it will work consistently up and down. But it happens every time I first try the switch. I have made sure the hydraulic fluid level is correct and there are no signs of leakage. I would just replace the switch on the motor but like I said this happens even if I use the throttle switch so I'm not sure if replacing the one switch will do the trick. What do you think?

Back