Logo

Trim Sensor Wiring

hippovet

I have a 2008 Mercury 40 hp EFI 3 cylinder 4 stroke. I bought it used (very low hours) and added a Smartcraft 1000 tachometer and electric trim/tilt. I recently purchased a Smartcraft compatible trim sensor and installed it today. Unfortunately I can’t figure out the wiring. The sensor has three wires, black, yellow and blue. The instructions say to connect them to the same color leads from the Smartcraft internal harness. BUT, there are only two available leads in the engine compartment and they are brown/white and purple.

Everything seems to work fine with the tachometer and trim/tilt that I installed.

I’ve attached an image of the wires from the sensor and the free wires on the engine side.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 9CFD6582-5F20-448E-9DBA-4B7BF139D732.jpg
    9CFD6582-5F20-448E-9DBA-4B7BF139D732.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 16
I have a 2008 Mercury 40 hp EFI 3 cylinder 4 stroke. I bought it used (very low hours) and added a Smartcraft 1000 tachometer and electric trim/tilt. I recently purchased a Smartcraft compatible trim sensor and installed it today. Unfortunately I can’t figure out the wiring. The sensor has three wires, black, yellow and blue. The instructions say to connect them to the same color leads from the Smartcraft internal harness. BUT, there are only two available leads in the engine compartment and they are brown/white and purple.

Everything seems to work fine with the tachometer and trim/tilt that I installed.

I’ve attached an image of the wires from the sensor and the free wires on the engine side.

Any ideas?

Thanks

[FONT=&quot]I connected the brown/white engine wire to the yellow sensor wire and the black sensor wire to an available black engine wire (hopefully a ground). Nothing happened.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Smartcraft gauge is digital. Because it seems to work for RPM, battery charge, engine temperature, oil pressure, hours, etc., I assume it’ll also work for trim if wired properly. Trim is one of the modes displayed on the gauge. It seems that my engine is mostly wired for Smartcraft but it doesn’t have the yellow, blue, and black wires that the installation instructions for the trim sensor (a Mercury Marine product) says should be there. The engine does have brown/white and purple wires available. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don’t want to randomly connect wires and hope for the best. The only things I’m pretty sure of is that the brown/white engine wire is trim and the black sensor wire is ground. I’m hoping that someone who is familiar with these systems can straighten me out. I’m also going to try to contact Mercury Marine for help. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I heard back from Mercury Marine. They confirmed what I had already figured out- that my engine, while Smartcraft “compatible,” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]will not accept a digital trim sender. I will need to use an analog sender and gauge. [/FONT]

Back