Logo

Trim gauge reads backwards

"i would say,..wrong gauge....

"i would say,..wrong gauge....that gauge appears,to have been for a stern drive unit..possibly."

So you're saying OMC used

So you're saying OMC used trim gauges that operate in different ways? That seems like such a simple thing that they would all be the same. Crap!

"So as I was getting ready for

"So as I was getting ready for work, I was thinking (I know, that's dangerous.) Assuming (even more dangerous) that the sender is a simple variable resistor and the needle moves as the resistance changes, might the needle move the opposite way if I reversed the ignition and sending wires on the gauge? I don't have much to lose since I only paid eight bucks for the gauge. In any event, I'm curious what you guys think as I won't be able to try it until tomorrow (damn work!)"

hi
i have a yamaha 50hp 4

hi
i have a yamaha 50hp 4 stroke 1999 mod
i want to fit faria tacho gauge and tilt/trim
its the wireing what colour wire goes where
yellow think is ignition
red live
black earth
whats pink and green

"Hi Alan, welcome to the forum

"Hi Alan, welcome to the forum. You should post your question in the Yamaha forum for best results."

"Cap'n. I don't think

"Cap'n. I don't think reversing the wires will work. If you want to give it a try go ahead, but be aware that you could fry the sender in addition to the gauge. As for the way the gauge reads: Johnson and Evinrude outboards read one way. Mercury's setup is the opposite. When OMC introduced the Cobra sterndrive, it emulated the Mercury setup. The Cobra was intended to be virtually interchangable with the Mercruiser Alpha 1. This was done so boatbuilders could interchange drives without major changes to the rigging. As a result, the rigging and such for a Cobra are closer to what you would find on a Mercury than a Johnson/Evinrude. This is why OMC made two different trim gauges that operate the opposite way from each other."

"Well, I tried reversing the w

"Well, I tried reversing the wires and it didn't work. Didn't do any harm either. Gauge still works fine, the needle just moves the opposite direction. At least I can tell how much I'm trimming since I can't see the motor as it's under the sundeck on my pontoon. I'll keep an eye out for a new gauge, but this will get me by in the meantime."

I'm having the same issue. Guage reads backwards. Was wondering if I could swap the two wires coming out of the sender. In theory that ought to reverse the signal homes going to the gauge. What do y'all think?

Back