Logo

Transom Rebuild Question.

AngryPossum

After watching many good videos on YouTube, I decided to give it a go. I'm redoing my transom, but my transom looks Ike it has two separate transoms. On the outside stern of the boat it has an inset, and on the inside it's bumped out. Do I have two separate transoms. How would I best tackle this. It seems it would be easier if I just had a normal transom, this is odd. Do I just remove all the transom wood? I'm a little confused, thanks. I'm almost finished removing all the hardware. I have two stubborn bolts that I'm soaking them currently, and will be using a 1/2 impact drill on them soon.
Screenshot_20240416_085631_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240416_085211_Gallery.jpg

Judging by the generous bead of silicone around the transom housing, I'd say there has been an ongoing leak for a while.

It is hard to tell exactly what you have from the pictures. Why do you feel the need to rebuild the transom?

Typically, the smaller I/O hulls have a plywood transom with an inner and outer skin...the transom's wood usually rots out due to water seeping between the skins...and the repair is made by removing one skin, the rotted wood and then cleaning the remaining skin. New wood is then bonded to the remaining skin and then the removed skin is bonded to the new wood core and then sealed at the edges...

Back