Logo

Transom Issue

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
This is not engine related, but I thought someone out there may have a suggestion. This morning I removed my transom rod holders to install new rubbers and caps. When I removed them, the wood underneath the holders was saturated and mushy, which scared the crap out of me. I drilled several small holes in the wood from underneath the transom lip and it looks like the saturation spreads about 2 to 2.5 inches around the hole for the rod holder. Beyond that, it seems dry and strong. Apparently, the seal where the rod holder lip matches to the top of the transom leaked and has held water in that area for a long time. Does anyone know of any product I can inject into that area to expel the moisture and harden the wood? I would really like to avoid trying to rebuild the entire transom lip.

Not the seal leaking but a sub-optimal installation.

Git a can of GIT-ROT and follow the directions. There are really no shortcuts to fixing this correctly; take your time and do it right or you'll be repeating it again in the future.

Check the MAS epoxy site. They have videos on various repairs. Youtube has some too. iboats and hulltruth may have related forums.
Gotta get it dry before repairs.

Thanks - I'll check them out. I did a repair that will hopefully get me through the fishing season, but this coming winter I'll need to find a permanent solution. These references should help.

Back