Logo

Torque Spec's/Water Pump/Alpha One

DWester

Regular Contributor
I have an Alpha one that I'm putting a new pump kit in. This is what the torque specs are showing for MR/Alpha One/Alpha ss. The picture below I copied out of my original Merc book. It has different numbers. I've read here somewhere it should be 60-80 for the nuts. I've done a lot of searching and have found that this question has been answered many times, so maybe I'm just missing something here or maybe these numbers are crossing over from ft. pds. to in. pds. Sure would like to clear this up.

I see they are changing the ft. pds. to in. pds. with the asterisk.* Kinda hard to see.

Torque Specifications​
DESCRIPTIONTORQUE​
Nuts-Water Pump Body 90 lbs. in.
Screw-Water Pump Body 20-30 lbs. in.

Scan0020.jpg

Last edited:
one foot equals 12 inches

therefore 1 foot pound equals 12 inch pounds

example: 5 x 12 = 72 so 5 lb/ft = 72 lb/inch. or in laymans terms... 5 ft/lbs = 72 inch/lbs.

good and tight will surfice if no inch/lb tourque wrench is available.

I've got an inch/lb wrench. I'm just trying to be as accurate as possible while trouble shooting my hot manifold problem. So I'd be safe with what it says under "gear housing torques" above in "inch pounds"?

I replaced this thing last year, but was thinking that I used the wrong torque specs(which might have been too light) and would be causing the pump to leak and lose proper water pressure to the cooling system. I know.....throwing parts at it.

Last edited:
A bit over tight would not be an issue, If the gaskets under the water pump base or the ones sandwiched between the stainless steel plate the impellor rides on, if any are torn then air (exhaust actually) will get into the water stream causing a lot of bubbles entering the engine.......Ask me how I know this......

What is your main issue? motor, year, hours if known, water use, salt or fresh?

Thanks for your response kghost. I decided to run them up to 70 in. lbs. and give it a go and it did the trick. I'm sure I was too loose on my last specs, which I got from the Merc book.???? It felt pretty light when I was doing it.

Anyway, I've got more water now that before which is good. It'll probably be even better when I get it off the muffs and into some water.

Back