Logo

Tohatsu MFS 60 WOT

RUNER

Hi All,
New to the forum and Tohatsu outboards.
I just switched over from a Yamaha Centre console to a Tohatsu Tender powered by a brand new Tohatsu MFS 60. The boat was idled and driven on low rpms per the manual. The boat has a max of 1hr of use and I could not get it above 4000 rpm at WOT to get it to plane just to see what it could do speed wise. The tender weighs a max of 480 kg and is 5.5 m long. It’s got a 3 prop blade that came with the engine and I have trimmed it all the way down to get it to plane. The manual states that full power is available after 10hrs of use so am I to presume that after 10 hrs the electronics on the outboard with get it unrestricted so I could go higher than 4000 rpm? Thank you

No. The break-in has to do with seating rings and getting bearings smoothed to the crank. You are massively over propped. The 60 does not come with a prop. The dealer must order the one he wants. Your current prop will make an OK spare.

Thanks Paul, I tried shifting the wife and kids and got out of the hole very slowly and the rpms climbed once on plane. I ll reach out to the dealer to see if I can get a better sized /pitched prop

Got in touch with the dealer and he came clean stating this was the first time he paired the MFS60 with a boat similar to mine. As you can see from the picture it’s a V hull but not that deep. Its claimed weight is about 1000 ILBS and it can take a max of 60 hp. A same/SIMILLAR setup has been known to run at 30 Mph. I am presuming a 11.1 inch diameter with a 13 pitch was used. The current setup bogs down and it takes a while to get out of the hole. What prop could I possibly suggest to get on plane quickly and I am Happy with a top end of 27-29 mph

c030aad8-266c-4ad9-be3f-e61cb6f4d8a2.jpeg

Props are available 7 pitch through 17 pitch. I would verify what you have, and order one a couple of inches less. Diameter is not important. If you confirm 13, get the 11, and keep the 13 as a spare.

Back