Logo

Tohaatsu 9.8 Impeller Replacement

KRD

Hi All,

I am new to the Tohatsu and 4 stroke world. Recently, I purchased a 2004 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke from a friend. It had not been operated for the last 3-4 years and it is in like new condition with only a few hours of run time.
Upon reading the owner's manual, it states that the impeller should be changed annually. So I have a couple of questions ( I did do a search on this site and read some of your comments):
1. How difficult is the replacement for a novice? (I do plan top purchase a shop manual).

2. Do they really need to be replace annually? On my old Sea King 15, I never did replace the impeller in 20 years and it is still running ok.

Thanks for your feedback.

the impellers of today are nothing like the ones we had in the old days, if I run my motor in a high sand area I change the impeller out each year. If not I do it every two years.

1- (4) 6mm bolts (10mm heads) for the LU, and a 3mm stainless roll pin for the shifter; Then 4 bolts for the wp housing. I recommend the wp kit, which includes impeller, cup, wear plate, and associated gaskets/bolts.

2- In sand-free freshwater, they often last 3 seasons.

There will soon be a new, better service manual for the 8/9.8. The current manual suffers a bit from language translation difficulties, but is accurate.

Thanks for the very helpful information. I will use the motor primarily in high mountain lakes in Colorado, so I may then be able to go a couple of years.
Also, I appreciate the tip on the new service manual.

Thanks again.

very easy to change if you have the manual!
deffinetly get the full wp kit not just the impeller and change before running so if it is brital peices dont shoot up through cooling system and clog it

Back