Logo

To sell or part out Engine 35hp Johnson

This is a general question for you technicians out there. I acquired a 1978 35hp Johnson outboard Model 35R78R, tiller steering and electic start, was not running and determined that really all that is wrong with engine is needs a new head gasket and thermostat, gasket blown between cylinders no comp at all. My question to the technicians out there is do I repair and try to sell engine complete or part out, as every one knows there are a lot of parts no longer available for these older engines. And if you can locate them they are in most case's extremely expensive. Lower unit pressure checks fine and no signs of any water in oil. Great spark, starter works great, throttle linkage works great carb would require rebuild if sold or if I decide to repair complete engine. I live in Northern wisconsin and selling as a complete engine would most likely be fairly easy but my felling is once running is most likely still only a $500.00 - $800.00 motor.
Looking for suggestions from other marine technicians on which way they would go?
Any comments will be welcome.Thanks

Back