Logo

To replace or not replace a Suzuki Upper Drive Shaft Housing Top on DF 250

jlipscomb71

This is a third opinion question, where I am trying to decide between the well informed opinion of one and the well informed opposite opinion of another.

I picked up my DF250 after 300 hour service and long story short ran into a service manager overruling a mechanic who was a mechanic. It took a bit to unfold so at first I only had the supervisor's opinion. The picture below right was the basis of the disagreement. The mechanic showed me the picture on his phone, which got a scowl from the supervisor and detailed explanation. The supervisor said if the drive shift housing top isn't leaking don't replace it which was not. He said something like it looks bad but it is a pretty stout part, they cleaned it up and put something on it to protect it better, and said the corrosion has a long way to go to cause a failure, and then started talking about how this seemingly simple fix goes wrong. I got the gist. Put a steel tool on an aluminum part, apply a lot of pressure and the corrosion won't cause the problem. Mostly other than removing plugs and changing gear oil, he said don't expose gears in good working order to an open top. Sounds reasonable. When the mechanic was using the tractor to put my boat trailer on my hitch it turns out he hadn't thought the boss was right. The mechanic was so adamant he said if I bought him a tool, below left, he'd do it at his house. The mechanic was all about replacing the housing top because the way I tend to engine flushing the explanation for the corrosion is caused by boat storage in a lift over salt water, not after use hygiene. He thinks the tool would work fine now, maybe not with more corrosion. I asked him if the top broke up like the supervisor warned would I have to do a full rebuild. He said, "That's why you turn it upside down when you do it, and clean the crap out of it before putting new oil back in." Sounds reasonable. If you were me, what would you do?

Attachments

• drive shaft housing tool.jpg
    drive shaft housing tool.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4
  • drive shaft housing small.jpg
    drive shaft housing small.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 4
Whilst the supervisor may be correct in suspecting that the corrosion of the part may not yet be critical, I would go with the mechanic, and fit a new part.
Reasoning:
So , after planning your fun day out on the water, and got life’s little obstacles out of the way , you get afloat and are having a fun time, then this little part of the engine ‘let’s go’ ! it ruins your nice day.
You can drop anchor and radio for a tow, if the harbour tows you in it will cost substantially more than the corroded part with fitting, and if a fellow boater tows you in you will want to reward him …… so that costs as well, and then you have the hassle of going back to the workshop to get it all fixed.
Mostly the cost is going to be the loss of your fun day out, and these I value, yes the wallet may take a hit, but boating in any form costs, spending a little more now may save a lot more after a brake down .

I generally sail my other boat, and this has a back up called sails to get me back in, my newly acquired little motor boat has no such back up so I am taking as much in the way of precautions with regard the engine and controls as I can, anything it needs will be done and done well, either by me or a Suzuki mechanic.

Just my opinion, I have no experience of your engine, and perhaps I over think things.

“To be prepared is half the victory” Quote Don Quixote.

CB

Back