Logo

"To-Do" list when pulling an Alpha One Gen 1?

Sebastian_Samay

I'm a week away from replacing the engine coupler and drive shaft on my 77' Alpha One Gen 1. What else should I replace/inspect/service while I have the motor out? The engine is crammed into an 18 ft Chaparral, and I wonder what other of those old components would require pulling the engine to deal with should they fail. I'm a novice.

Check the stringers and transom for rot
rear motor mounts can collapse

both can take out coupler.

check bellows for gear lube leaking out of drive input shaft seal, or water coming in. Check ujoints, moog 315 g is an aftermarket equivalent.

Pressure test drive check lube for metal shavings and water intrusion.

good time to change impeller if its not relatively new… use oem impellers only

check oil pan and timing cover for corrosion, replace as needed. If starter is a bitch might be worth doing.

check bellows for gear lube leaking out of drive input shaft seal, or water coming in. Check ujoints, moog 315 g is an aftermarket equivalent.

check oil pan and timing cover for corrosion, replace as needed. If starter is a bitch might be worth doing.

Thank you, Dieter.

Back