Logo

Timing V4 Joe Reeves method???

I replaced my timing base recently on my 81 Johnson 140 j140tlcim as I wasn’t getting full spark. I started my engine and it’s running super high rpm. I figure i need to time it. The joe reeves method seems easy and straight forward. In his method he mentions “disabling fast start”....how do I know if I have fast start? He also says to have the timer base right against the rubber stop...not sure I fully understand...does he mean disconnect it and then put it tight against or screw adjust until it’s tight against?? Also I have to rig a spark tester...what’s this? Can I just run all plugs to ground or take them out completely? Sorry for the long post and multiple questions, I’m still learning here. I tried going through my manual but it’s a little confusing doing that method, so if anyone can dumb it down for me to help me that’d be great too. I just want to get this dam thing timed and be done with it

There is no fast start " quick start " feature on your motor.-----You should not have to move that rubber stop if timing is correct.--------Timing on these motors is fixed at the factory and rarely needs adjustment.

So what would cause my engine to idle high even though the throttle was in the neutral position? Is there an idle adjustment on my carbs anywhere that I’m just not seeing??

Boobie, I have the SELOC 1308 manual which covers 1973-91 3,4, & 6 cyl 60-235hp. It has some great info in it but seems very vague for the timing section of it. Is there a more specific manual for my engine? 1981 Johnson 140 j140tlcim.

I have the SELOC 1308 manual
Man..bet your household loves ya as best TP ever printed. Yes a factory one pn# 392075.
You should only have to check MAX timing as timer base casting maybe off. To
set full advance timing.1) remove throttle cable 2) remove plug and ground to block to prevent a accidental fire or shock. Attch timing light to #1 plug 3) use a rubber band or cable tie to hold timer base stop to rubber bumper stop 4) have someone crank or use a jumper on solenoid to spin motor. 5) timing should be @ 24deg full throttle cranking, if not turn stop CCW to advance CW to retard. 6) install plug and sync and link throttle arm and carbs. Don't worry about idle timing just set it where motor like it.

If the photo in  previous post is your motor in neutral at idle,that explains why it idles hi.

Last edited:
Back