Logo

Timing screwed up on 1984 90hp evinrude

pegs1

I've been working on the motor for a while trying to run down this problem.

It used to run WOT but was very rough at lower RPMs and pretty cold blooded.

The throttle quadrant crapped out on the lake and in the process of removing and replacing the cowling I broke the connector off a coil post. I replaced that and fixed the throttle quadrant and since then I have nothing but problems with it.

It is very cold blooded but will start and will run but not at full throttle and not at WOT. The choke plates are full open and I can't manually force the throttle linkage on the motor any farther forward, but the motor either lacks the ability rev to full RPMs or the torque to achieve WOT under load.

So far I have removed and rebuilt both carbs including the jets.

Rebuilt the fuel pump.

Rebuilt the electric choke diaphragm

Removed the flywheel and checked the woodruff key, the magnets and looked for cracks or burnt wires. It was all in very good shape.

Did a compression test on all the cylinders. They were all in the 120-125 range

Tested the spark at the plug wires and I can jump a good 1/2 consistently.

And STILL the problem that I'm finding today is that the firing order on #1 appears to be 180 out.

I pulled all the plugs, ran each piston to TDC. Marked the Flywheel at the TDC mark. 1 - 4
Started the motor and checked each plug wire. #1 was 180 across from the Timing TDC pointer. #2 was where it was supposed to be but 3 and 4 aren't firing when they are supposed. By that I mean. I put the induction pickup on #4 wire and checked the timing and I'm seeing a #3.

I can't believe this motor runs at all.

Can anyone help with this? I'll be more than happy to go through whatever test step by step and post the results, I can attach photos and/or videos.

Grandson said. Grampa.... you can only put another $100 dollars in this boat. After that. You have to get a different one or we won't get to go fishing at all this year.

Move powerpacks from one side to the other and see what happens with the spark...Could be a bad powerpack ( CDI module ) on one side.

Back