Logo

timing on a 1991 evinrude 120hp

i was need to find out how you check an set the timing on a 1991 evinrude 120. if anyone can help i woul appreciate it alot. thank you. i just bought this boat and it has a miss in it somewhere. i was wanting to start with the easieast thing first. and how do you check the coil packs?

Re: timing on a 1991 evinrude 120

i would like to thank everyone for there help. oh wait thats right no one helped. so i guess i will put the boat in the water and hope the timing is not off and my pistons dont get burned

I don't have the specs for your engine but timing is not often a problem unless something has been changed. You can check the timing at idle by using a regular automotive timing light connected to your #1 spark plug wire, with the engine idling in the water in gear. Usually there is a sticker affixed near the pointer at the flywheel specifying the degress BTDC.

This is from our very Good Folks at CDI, make sure you tell them thanks.

MISS AT ANY RPM:​
1. Disconnect the Yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the miss clears, replace the rectifier.
2. In the water or on a Dynameters, check the DVA output on the Orange wires from the power pack while connected to the
ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V DVA or more, increasing with engine RPM until it reaches 300-
400V DVA maximum. A sharp drop in DVA right before the miss becomes apparent on all cylinders will normally be
caused by a bad stator. A sharp drop in DVA on less than all cylinders will normally be the power pack or timer base.
3. Connect an inductive tachometer to each cylinder in turn and try to isolate the problem. A high variance in RPM on one
cylinder usually indicates a problem in the power pack or ignition coil. Occasionally a timer base will cause this same
problem. Check the timer base DVA voltage (see NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER above).
4. Perform a high-speed shutdown and read the spark plugs. Check for water. A crack in the block can cause a miss at high
speed when the water pressure gets high, but a normal shutdown will mask the problem.
5. Check the triggering and charge coil flywheel magnets for cracked, broken and loose magnets.​
6. Rotate the stator one bolt hole in either direction and retest.

Back