Logo

Timing mark

joe

Regular Contributor
I was adjusting the timing on

I was adjusting the timing on my 83 chevy 350. When i tried to line the mark up (4 deg. btdc) the motor stalled. i was able to turn the distributor to get a fairly constant idle but im having high rpm problems still. why is the timing mark off?

the type of distributor is th

the type of distributor is the non HEI marine type with points and condensor.

"Your timing should be at 6-de

"Your timing should be at 6-deg BTC with a Mallory distributor or 10-deg BTC using a Prestolite distributor. What you need to do is bring the number one cylinder to TDC and making sure that the 0 mark on the pointer lines up with the 0 mark on the harmonic balancer. If not, your balancer ring may have slipped on its rubber hub or you may have sheared the crank key. If that checks out, youll have to go through all the steps of making sure the distributor is good internally (Springs and cam), ignition system, fuel system, vaccum leaks and if you have an outdrive setup such as Mercruiser or some OMC models, you want to see if the interupter switch is causing the problem. Another thing to do, is to try disconnecting the grey tachometer wire off of the minus side of the ignition coil, as a bad tach signal can cause erratic or no spark at all.

Gabriel Acher - Dania Marine Corp.
email: [email protected]"

Back