Logo

Timing Issue Mercury 0T518996 2002 , 2 stroke 40 hp single carb

Beamer50

I'm new to this forum but I hope someone can help. I'm 70 this Friday and the heat is awful. Trying to get the timing set on this 2002 40 mercury. I spent $337 at a mercury marine dealer for a link & Sync and timing. Kept cutting off the day after I picked it up. I posted a little about this but no response. I put my timing light on it and its around 25 degrees ATDC & supposed to be 8 BTDC. I've put a new trigger on it, a new stator and the yellow wires were burnt together and it has a new flywheel. I verified the flywheel part number with marine engine and it's the correct one ? I just put the stator on today hoping it solve the timing issues because I've about had it.
Is there anything else that could be throwing the timing off ? Runs good just cutting off from neutral to in gear like no wake zones. and top speed is not there ? It's a 15 ft Tracker 17 pitch prop. 21 mph. The 25 mercury I took off of it went 22 mph.
I've built and raced Late Models in the early 90's so I'm mechanical but this has me baffled !!!
any help very much appreciated.
Beamer50

Back